Hudson

Lillian's POV

My heart pounded in my chest as wildly as a storm as I sat in the examination room at the hospital. Everything about the space had my insides screeching to get out. The lights, the smell, the feel of the pilled cotton sheets spread on the hospital bed. Derek stood by the closed door only because I begged Dr. Mazurek to let him stay, not caring about whether she thought that was strange or not. At this point, though, I knew she must have understood my discomfort.

"So how have you been feeling?" Dr. Mazurek asked gently, picking up a clipboard and a pen.

"Good," I managed. "Less good now that I'm here, though. Can we make this as quick as possible?"

"Of course." Dr. Mazurek wrote something down, checking a box that I couldn't see. "Any nausea?'

I shook my head.

"How's your pain at the incision sites?"

"It's not bad, just sore, really. Same with my ribs."

Scratch, scratch, as she recorded it. "Alright, I'm going to need to examine the incisions to see how well they're healing," she cast a sidelong glance at Derek. "I'll need to remove your shirt and bandages."

I caught her gaze, frowning. "He can stay."

Dr. Mazurek nodded, and I gingerly slipped the shirt over my head, leaving me in a simple lace bralette. I laid down on the bed when the doctor asked, keeping my hands gripped at my sides to stop them from shaking. Derek stood somewhat tense as he watched me. 

I held my breath as Dr. Mazurek removed the bandages, peering at the dark scars on my chest and abs.

"These look like they're healing nicely," she remarked, but I kept my gaze on the ceiling, hoping she couldn't hear how fiercely my heart was beating. When the disgusting lights threatened to swallow me up, I screwed my eyes shut, breathing deep.

"Ms. Stager," my doctor's voice was threaded with concern. "Is everything okay?"

"I don't want to be here," I whispered.

"I'm almost done," she murmured. "The incision sites look good; you don't need bandages anymore. You can put your shirt back on."

"Great," I ground out, sitting up as quickly as my body allowed, yanking my shirt back on. "Can I go now?"

"Not quite," she said. "Make sure your dad has a look at those incisions in a few weeks to make sure everything is okay, but you can go back to regular life."

"Great," was all I said before I scrambled out as fast as I could.

*

Derek caught up with me at his car in the parking lot.

"Lil, are you okay?" He asked gently, reaching for my elbow.

"I'm fine," I huffed, savouring the soft air that filled my lungs. "I just don't like it in there. Want to come over now?"

"Sure," he replied, sliding into the front seat of his car and as I sat down, he started the engine.

"Where are we going?" I asked as Derek started driving in the opposite direction to my house.

"You'll see," Derek murmured, smirking. "We're just taking the scenic route."

"You're going in the exact opposite direction," I scoffed, taking in the street signs we passed. "Should I be worried you're abducting me?"

"No, I think you'll like where we're going," Derek replied.

"Alright," I said, rolling down the window to allow myself breath. "I guess I'll take your word for it."