A Door Worth Locking

Lillian's POV

Rosie managed to keep her trap shut for the rest of dinner, to my relief. I definitely wouldn't have put it past her to announce to dad in the middle of eating that she found Derek and I kissing in the loft, despite my threats that promised death. Dad seemed to like Derek too, which was a bonus. He had this little smirk on his face for most of the time, anyhow.

When we were done eating and talking, Derek and I headed back out to the barn. I let Derek chill upstairs while I turned Magellan out into his paddock behind the barn and he galloped off into the dusk with a snort. I needed to ride him again, he hadn't been worked in I didn't remember how long. If I wasn't careful he would get out of shape. Maybe tomorrow.

When I shut the door behind me after stepping into the loft, I glanced at the lock I could easily flick with a swipe of my finger. I wondered if I should've. Maybe that implied I expected something from Derek, but I didn't. I might've wanted it, but didn't expect it. We only kissed for the first time two hours before. I rolled my eyes and left it unlocked.

Derek was standing at the other end of the lost from where my bed was, staring out the open door, twin to the one at the other end. Where we kissed for the first time.

I shook my head. If I was going to think like that every time he was around, that would be a problem. When I got to his side, my insides clenched. He was even more distracting when it was dark. Good God. I needed to rein myself in.

"Did you like dinner?" I asked, tilting my head to the side as the cool evening air flew in.

Derek smiled, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, your dad makes a mean steak."

"True," I replied, glancing out into the darkening fields. I loved the property at night. The cloak of the dark gave it a different kind of beauty. "Do you like him?"

"Sure," he said. "I hope he likes me too, he kind of acted like I was only there to steal his daughter away."

My mouth betrayed me. "And are you?"

Derek let out a breathy chuckle, his hooded gaze flicking to my lips and back to my eyes. "Maybe."

Heat rose again, cleaving through the chill night air. My heart tripped over itself.

"Oh, really now?"

"Who wants to know?" He joked, inching closer to me with a grin on his face.

I pressed my hand to his chest, raising my eyebrows at the feel of the thundering heart that lay beneath.

"So what if I was?"

"If you were, I can think of a few things we could do," I murmured. "Your heart's beating really fast."

"I know, so is yours," he flirted, tilting his chin toward my chest.

"What makes you so sure?" I asked, getting closer to him on the tips of my toes. I could've kissed him right then.

"I just know. I know I make you nervous," he drawled.

"Oh yeah?" I challenged, meeting his gaze.

"I like making you nervous," he added with a smirk, taking my hand and tracing his fingers to my wrist. He pressed two fingers against my vein, and then he and I could both tell how nervous I was.

"Did you know I have a heart condition?" I breathed, blinking slowly.

"No," Derek's eyebrows knit together. "What kind of condition?"

"It's called bradycardia. It just means my heart beats really slowly."

"That makes sense," he chuckled, and I frowned.