52. (Part 1)

"It was such a delicious meal. Thank you, Ethel." I smiled as we stood up from our chairs. I made sure to push my seat in with my soiled coat still laying on top the back.

"Oh, your welcome, child. It was such a pleasure to learn more about the girl that Theo absolutely raves about." She had a grin on her face, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

She gave me a quick nod to me before turning to look at Theo. He was gathering up all the dishes on the table, keeping his eyes down. Ever since I had come back from the bathroom he had been a bit drawn back.

But I didn't bother to ask. Ethel probably was scolding him about how fake that robbery story was. I softly chuckle as I remember all of his laughable details. No one in their right mind would believe that tale.

Both Ethel and I watched as he carried every single plate, glass, and fork. Ethel and I walked behind him, making sure he didn't drop anything. Surprisingly, he didn't.

He placed everything in the deep sink of the kitchen where Ethel was already beginning to roll up her sleeves to clean our messes.

"Need any help, Ethel?" I asked as kindly as I could.

"No. I'm fine, dear. You go have fun." She said as a dimple indented in her one cheek as she referred for me to go with Theo.

Theo had already grabbed my hand and was attempting to hastily drag me out of the room, but just as we were about to make our exit, I caught Ethel filling the sink and guilt immediately overcame my senses. 

I slipped my hand from Theo's and turned back around.

"My, what are you doing?" Theo asked in a slightly annoyed tone, causing me to reverse back to look at him.

"The least we can do is help Ethel, Theo. She went through all that trouble to make that meal for us." I whispered back in an equally bitter tone.

Why as he so opposed us being around Ethel? He loved Ethel like she was his own mother. Why was he resisting doing something as simple as the dishes with her?

Without another word from him, I rolled my sleeves up and went to assist her with the chores.

To say Ethel looked surprised was an understatement. She looked astonished but quickly wiped the look from her face.

"I thought I told you didn't need any help, missy." She said it with her yellow-gloved hands on her hips and her one eyebrow quirked sassily.

I knew I had to say the right thing here. "You raised the most important person in my life, and I know that dishes are nothing comparison, but it's the very least I could do for you. Let me help you out?" I pleaded but I slapped on the sweetest look possible to help hurry her decision along.

This time she didn't hold back her shock. There was a slight grin on her lips as she nodded her head in approval. Still silent, I watched her bend down to retrieve a pair of gloves for myself.

I accepted them gladly and with on my face beaming, I slipped them over my hands.

I looked around for Theo and found him standing in the place I had left him, but this time he looked less bitter. Less annoyed. He looked different, more cheery and more carefree. I watched as he followed suit in rolling up his sleeves and made his way over to the sink. I grinned knowing I finally got my way and without as much arguing as I previously thought there'd be.

***

After the last dish was finally dried and put away, we shared our gratitude towards Ethel once again before leaving out the swinging door.