Apparently I Stutter Now

Pippin POV

I followed Holly to the Big House.

"How did you react when you were claimed? I asked her.

She smiled a little. "I thought I was dying."

I stared at her. She continued, "Poseidon's symbol is a trident, right? Well I thought he stabbed my head."

I burst out laughing. So did she. "I was eight, okay?"

"But still," I said between fits of laughter.

Then I realized what she said. "You were only eight?"

She nodded. "Percy was twelve, and we came to camp together."

I nodded. "That makes sense."

We finally got to the Big House. Chiron said we could take the two chairs. I did, but Holly chose to sit on the floor.

Grover came in with the other four. Ashton and Turner leaned up against the wall, Hank took the other chair, and Daniel sat next to Holly, who put her head in her hands.

"As you all know, Holly is taking the five of you on the quest with her," Chiron began. "Of course, she didn't have a choice, but she doesn't mind." She made a muffled sound of protest and looked up.

"Chiron, quit teasing me," she complained.

Daniel grinned. "Oh, I get it. You're having guy troubles."

"Am not," she muttered, but her face spoke against her by turning a bright red.

"Ha! I knew it," Daniel smiles triumphantly. "So who is it?" He suddenly looked disgusted. "Don't tell me it's me."

"Ew, heck no," she said. "I will never have a crush on you."

"Good, because if you did, I'd have to let you down easy." Everyone laughed.

"Holly, are you okay with leaving a day early?" Chiron asked her. Thanks for changing the subject, I thought.

She nodded.

"Great," Chiron said. "Pack up."

We all parted to our cabins. When I got to the Athena cabin, I saw Percy talking to Annabeth. When he saw me, the smile on his face faded.

"Were you the one who hurt my sister?" He asked, his voice dangerously calm.

I shook my head.

"Don't lie to me!" He grabbed me by the shirt and lifted me up to his height. I was terrified until he started laughing.

"What's going on?" I asked nervously. Annabeth joined him. He set me down.

"Sorry squirt, that was a dare," Percy told me, and explained that he had played Truth or Dare with the Stoll brothers.

"Okay," I said, relaxing.

"So, I heard from your father that you have a crush on Holly," he said, smirking. I blushed.

"By the way, I told him that you'd be at a special camp for a few weeks. Apparently he trusts Holly and I a lot, because he was totally fine with it." Percy added.

So my dad did know where I was, I thought. That's good.

"Hey, if you ever wanted to date her, I'd let you," Percy said to me.

I looked up. "R-really?" Since when do I stutter?

"Yeah, you're a good kid."

"Do you think she likes me back?" I asked.

Percy snorted. "Holly is the most unpredictable person I know. There's no telling with her."

We were silent for a minute.

"Hey Pippin." I jumped a little. Holly was right behind me. "Ready to go?"

I realized that I hadn't packed yet. Oops.

"Yeah, he's ready," Annabeth said and handed me a backpack.

"Thanks," I whispered to her as I put it on.

She winked.

"Any tips?" Daniel asked.

"Stay alive," she said. Holly laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked her.

"She made a Hunger Games reference," she replied. "Now let's go." We went into the forest.