The Sorting

Harry pov

     After the Americans left, we walked over to the Griffindor table. The hat sang his song as usual and all the first years were sorted.

     Then Dumbledore walked up to his podium.

     "Good evening everyone, welcome to my new students and welcome back to my old ones. I hope you were all looking forward to this year. To a new year at Hogwarts. Today we will be having three visitors from America. They go to a very well hidden school called Hecate's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. They will be sorted into houses as any of my own pupils." He motioned Professor Mcganagoll to continue.

     " di Angelo, Nico" she said in a clear voice. He walked to the stool with confidence. I was surprised he didn't even show a bit of nervousness. He should be sorted into Griffindor I thought. But the way he looked was like a Slytherin.  A bit sly. He sat on the stool and Professor placed the hat over his head. I was surprised when he didn't look shocked that the hat could talk in his head. I certainly was, probably jumped up a few feet. Oh well, he probably had a talking hat at his own school.

     One minute passed. Then a second. And finally, after the longest three minutes of my life, the hat shouted out " SLYTHERIN!!!"

     The table next to us all clapped and cheered hard as Nico walked down to his table with an expressionless face.

     "Grace, Thalia" called out Professor Mcganagoll.

      "Thalia. Just Thalia" She shouted, as annoyance laced in her words. "I don't use my surname."

     Her eyes glared at anyone who dared to contradict her. Wow, I think this one has some temper issues I thought. It was not my first time noticing this. It wasn't hard to recall her outburst at Malfoy on the train. But I has to admit, it was amusing to watch.

     She walked with confidence, her head held up high, as if there was nothing that could possibly bring her down. She sat on the stool and the hat was placed on her head. She even managed to look dignified with the hat over her eyes. We waited and waited for the hat to call out her house. I wondered what their mental conversation was about. After about five minutes the hat shouted,

     "SLYTHERIN!" but it still sounded a slightly unsure. Thalia walked over and sat at her cheering table, giving all the boys, who seemed to be hitting on her( which were almost all of them) death glares. I wondered why. Maybe she already had a boyfriend at home. Malfoy and his cronies were the only ones of the table who weren't cheering for her. In fact they were seething with anger, probably remebering what she did to them earlier. I couldn't exactly blame them, she was frightening.

     "Jackson, Perseus" was called out. Percy, who had seemed to zone out, apparently rembered that that wasn't the best time. He jumped up and said

     "Wait-what? Oh, yeah, sorry Professor." The hall was filled with sniggers but Percy was oblivious to them. He walked up with a sloppy, carefree grin on his face. All the girls seemed to want to catch his attention. But he walked on as if he couldn't see them. When he did turn around and wink at a group, they almost fainted.

     As he sat on the stool, the hat was placed on his head. Percy made many  facial expressions. First normal, then surprised, then afraid, then terrified, then angry, and so on. The ten minutes we waited were the longest of my life. I could sense that even other wizards and witches were starting to get nervous at the hat's quietness.

     FINALLY the hat said in a quavering voice, "Let him choose his house. He is more loyal than any Hufflepuff, smarter than any Ravenclaw, more sly and ambitious than any Slytherin and braver than any Griffindor." Everyone exchanged astonished glances. Even our teachers looked shaken. The hat was taken off Percy's head and he grinned.

     "I'm guessing this never happened to anybody?" he asked. When no one responded, he continued. "Cool! This is AWESOME!!!!!" He turned to Professor Mcganagoll " so does that mean I can pick?" She nodded, a bit dazed. Who is this boy? I thought to myself. There are plenty brave, smart, loyal, and ambitious people in these houses. How can he better than all these people? I started getting suspicious of him. What if he is a death eater?  I shook the thought out of my head. He's too nice and normal looking for that. Maybe he's not a wizard? Then how could he do magic? He came from a magic school for goodness sake, I thought to myself.

     Percy looked at his American friends as if he couldn't decide which house to pick. They seemed to be having a mental conversation before he pointed to our table and said,

     "I choose Grindorfinn." Everyone laughed while even the professors smiled at his mistake.

     When the food finally appeared, we all dug in. Percy piled his plate with food and went for seconds and thirds!
He seemed dissapointed when the food dissapeared, but put on his happy grin again when the dessert came. Man, this guy can eat I thought to myself.

     When the dessert dissapeared, Dumbledore stood up at his stand and waved his arms.

     "I have a big announcement to make"

     "He always does" muttered Draco.

     "This year, we will be canceling all quidittch matches." He started. Everyone yelled in disagreement and Oliver Wood, our team captain, looked as if his death was pronounced early. Dumbledore continued. "Instead, we will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament. It is a competion between three schools where one pupil from each school is to accomplish three tasks. The winner is the champion between those schools and earns one thousand galleons. Only seventh years are allowed to put in their names." He said pointing to some big glowing goblet on a table behind us.

     "As for the exchange students," he continued," they will be representing their own school even though they are underage, their school teaches them very advanced magic and they have much experience."

     Everyone started grumbling about that not being fair. I wondered wich of the American students would be picked, if they were to put in their names at all.

Hey guys, so I was rereading my story and I noticed a few gaps in it. This is a Fanfic so use your creativity to just fill in parts that I missed. I hope you like this story. Please please please comment.
- AlwaysBooks7