Countrycide

"I 'ate the countryside," Owen said as the Torchwood SUV traveled down the road.

Jack was driving the car, I was beside him. Ianto, Gwen, Toshiko sat in the rear along with Owen who looked deeply unhappy.

"Dirty, it's unhygienic and what is that smell?"

"That would be grass," I replied

Owen looked at me. "It's disgustin',"

"This must be why the colonies won the revolutionary war, because the fancy Brits were too afraid to get their pants dirty," I mock pouted, only to laugh as Owen aimed to hit me.

"Now, kids don't make me turn this car around," Jack playfully said.

"The American started it," Owen sassed. "Why are you here anyway?"

"Ask dear old Captain Jack, he's the one who texted me...besides 17 disappearances within the last 5 months. All within a 20 mile radius...it's practically screaming monster hunt,"

***

The SUV was parked on the grass at the side of the road. A map rested on the bonnet.

"17 disappearances within the last 5 months. Police are clueless,"

"Well, there's one thing American police and British police have in common, practically clueless when it comes to the Supernatural..." I said crossing my arms. Jack cleared his throat. "Until I see proof that whatever this thing is alien...I'll say it, but I'm sticking with Supernatural,"

"The last known whereabouts of each one is somewhere around here." Jack continued pointing at a spot on the map. Gwen and Toshiko inspected the map with him.

"All within a 20-mile radius," Toshiko noted

"Anything else linking them?" Gwen asked

"None of the bodies have ever been found, these people just fell off the radar. No patterns in age, sex, race. One minute they're here, the next pfft, gone." Jack looked at me "So tell me Miss Monster Hunter...know of anything that can do that,"

"I can name a few...ghosts, pagan gods, Wendigo..."

"The rift doesn't spread out this far does it?" Gwen asked

"We don't know that much about it to be certain, and it's increasing in activity all the time," Jack explained

"Oh come on! Aliens aren't gonna bother hangin' round out 'ere. Probably some sort of weird suicide club with people choosing the same spot to end it all. Ooh, God knows if I 'ad to spend too long up 'ere I'd wanna top myself," Owen explained.

Ianto walked over to them from the mobile Burger Bar, and handed a burger to me "'ere you go," He walked to the SUV to hand the other's their food while Owen shook his burnt hand from his glove. "Careful. They're hot. Sure you don't want anything Tosh?"

"Really sure. A friend of mine caught hepatitis off a burger from one of these places," Toshiko explained.

Gwen and Ianto stopped eating after the story, Jack put his burger on the bonnet with a sigh.

"I'm surprised that hasn't happened to me or my brothers yet. This is practically our everyday diet right here, riding around in the Impala, sleeping in moldy motel rooms, and living off of gas pub food and fast food restaurants," I said as I continued eating.

"We'll start with the most recent victim, Ellie Johnson. We last have record of her making a phone call, she dropped out of signal mid-call,"

"Narrows it down to one...ghost,"

"Coverage map has her placed somewhere about here," Jack indicated a place on the map. "Looks as good a place as any to set up camp,"

Owen stopped with his burger halfway to his mouth at Jack's words. "Sorry. Did you say camp?"

I smiled at Owen's hatred of the idea.

***

The SUV was parked in an area of short grass between rocky hills. Jack and Owen carried a tent between them from the boot.

"What's the matter with a hotel?" Owen asked.

They walked past 2 already erected tents.

"People are going missing around here. Do you really wanna stay in a place run by strangers?"

"Oh, cos sleeping outside's gonna be a lot safer! Besides Angela says she and her brother sleep in motels, she turned out fine,"

"No other race in the universe goes camping. Celebrate your uniqueness!"

Owen dropped his side of the tent in frustration, Jack walked back to the SUV leaving Owen with the bagged up tent. "What am I supposed to do with this?!"

"Need a hand getting it up, Owen?" Toshiko asked

"If I did, I wouldn't ask you,"

Toshiko returned to putting up her own tent, upset by Owen's comments. Owen ignored her feelings and kicked the tent bag. Gwen watched Toshiko walk to her tent, unsure of the situation.

***

Owen was still struggling to put up his tent. Toshiko, Ianto, and Gwen were sorting through their other equipment.

"Oh come on! It's just a bit of fun. Who was the last person you snogged?" Gwen asked

"You even sound like an 8-year-old. Who the hell says 'snog'?" Owen asked

I noticed Jack sitting in the SUV watching the hills, checking his wrist cuff. I walked up next to him and leaned against the SUV.

"Why'd you come, Angela?" Jack asked without looking up.

"Hmm?" i asked

Jack looked at me "You heard me...why'd you come?"

I huffed "I needed to get away from him,"

"Oh, there's a him?" Jack smirked

I nudged him playfully "Not like that...I don't think..." I groaned as I looked up at the sky "It's like his body and eyes are saying one thing, but then he goes and does the opposite,"

"So who is he?"

"The d..." I stopped myself, unsure if it was the right time reveal who I was with, especially to the man who worked for the very corporation that took Rose Tyler from the man who loved her. "Castiel," I blurted out.

"Jack. Angela," Owen called out

"Are we including non-human life forms?" Jack asked

Gwen laughed "Oh, you haven't!"

"You're a sick man, Harkness. That is disgusting," Owen said

"I never know when he's joking,"

Jack laughed and looked over at me.

I sighed "It's my turn is it?" I thought back to when the Doctor and I kissed, and shook my head. But realized, that while looking at Jack, I could tell him "Crowley,"