Utopia [2]

"Is that a city?" Martha asked as she looked down over a cliff onto a high tech construction of some kind.

"A city or a hive. Or a nest. Or a conglomeration. Looks like it was grown. But look there. That's like pathways, roads....must have been some sort of life. Long ago,"

"What killed it?" Angela questioned

"Time. Just time. Everything's dying now. All the great civilizations have gone. This isn't just night. All the stars have burned up and faded away into nothing,"

"It must have an atmospheric shell. We should be frozen to death," Jack noted

"Well, Martha, Angel, and I, maybe. Not so sure about you, Jack,"

Angela looked over at Jack who only shared a look that said he would explain later.

"What about the people?" Martha wondered "Does no one survive?"

"I suppose we have to hope. Life will find a way,"

"Well, he's not doin' too bad," Jack pointed to a man who was running along one of the pathways.

"Is it me, or does that look like a hunt?" Ange pointed out "Come on!"

The Doctor, Martha, Jack, and Angela ran along a roadway.

"Oh, I've missed this!" Jack laughed

They reached the man and Jack got a hold of him.

"I've got you," Jack said

"We've gotta run! They're coming! They're coming!" The man exclaimed

Ange pulled out her gun and aimed it at the group that ran towards them.

"Angela, don't you dare!" The Doctor seethed.

Ange huffed and fired into the air and the group stopped.

"What the hell are they?" Martha wondered

"There's more of them. We've got to keep going," The man proclaimed

"I've got a ship nearby. It's safe." The Doctor claimed "It's not far, it's over there,"

More tribesmen appeared on the cliff.

"Or maybe not," Angela said

"We're close to the silo. If we get tot he silo, then we're safe," The man said

"Silo?" The doctor asked

"Silo," Jack agreed

"Silo for me," Martha said

"I get the feeling that even I said 'no' we'd be going to Silo regardless," Ange claimed causing Jack to laugh.

The five ran to the silo followed by the Tribesmen. They arrived at a gated area with watchtowers and guards.

"It's the Futurekind! Open the gate!" The man exclaimed

"Show me your teeth! Show me your teeth! Show me your teeth!" A guard ordered

"Show them your teeth,"

The Doctor, Martha, Jack and Ange gritted their teeth in wide smiles.

"Human! Let 'em in! Let 'em in!" The Guard proclaimed

The metal were opened the group ran through.

"Close! Close! Close!" A guard fired his machine gun at the ground in front of the tribe as they got too close.

"Humans. Humani. Make feast," A tribesman said

"Bo back to where you came from. I said, go back. Back!"

"Oh, don't tell him to put his gun down," Angela said with a roll of her eyes

"He's not my responsibility,"

"And neither am I. I'm a grown ass woman, Doctor. I'm not a child who needs her hand constantly held,"

"Kind watch you. Kind hungry," The tribe backed away and left.

The Doctor turned away from the upset Winchester and towards the guards "Tahnks for that,"

"Right. Let's get you inside." A guard proclaimed

"My name is Padra Toc Shafe Cane." The man introduced "Tell me. Just tell me, can you take me to Utopia?"

"Oh yes, sir. Yes, I can,"

The Doctor went to stand with the guard "It's a box, a big blue box. I'm sorry, but I really need it back. It's stuck out there,"

Padra interrupted "I'm sorry, but my family were heading for the silo. Did they get here? My mother is Kistane Shafekane. My brother is Beltone,"

"The computers are down but you can check the paperwork." The Guard, Atillo, explained "Creed!"

A young boy of about 10 stuck his head around a corner.

"Passenger needs help,"

"Right. What d'you need?" Creed asked

Padra walked over to Creet and looked at his clipboard.

"A blue box, you said," Atillo said returning his attention to the Doctor.

"Big, tall, wooden. Says 'Police'," The Doctor described

"We're driving out for a last water collection. I'll see what I can do,"

"Thank you,"

"Come on," Creet told Padra

Martha walked over to Creet "Sorry, but how old are you?"

"Old enough to work. This way," Creet told the group.

Angela couldn't help but flinch as Creet's situation reminded her of when she and her brothers were children. She jumped as a hand was placed on her back and noticed it was just Jack.

"You okay?" Jack asked, even though he already knew the answer.

Angela shook her head "He's 10 years old and already acting like an adult...that's just not fair for a child,"

Jack hugged her from behind and kissed her temple, neither taking note of the Doctor's glance back towards the duo.