Chapter Nine - Twenty-Four Hour Thing (First Half)

• Dedicated to Neomi Redoble

Today is Michelle's last day of Summer. Well, it is for her. It's still the night of June 14 here, but it's already June 15 in the Philippines. Michelle will be entering college the next day and I am worried as hell.

What if she finds another guy cute? What if that guy would find her cute too? What if he comes up to her and introduces himself to her? Will she introduce herself too? What if they become first day buddies and end up being college buddies and the guy ends up liking her? What if she would like him too? What if they end up together?

No.

Marc, you're just over thinking things.

"Marc?"

I quickly snapped out from deep thoughts. I didn't realize I wasn't paying attention anymore and that I was actually staring blankly at the screen. Michelle and I are Skyping right now. She had this crazy idea of what we are supposed to do today. I like it, but I worry for her though.

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking of something."

Michelle's eyes crossed. "And what is that you are thinking about?"

"Lots of things. I'm trying to picture how your college looks like, how you will look on your first day of class, you know. Those stuff." I lied though I did think of that a moment ago.

"You don't look like you are thinking of that," she said in a worried tone.

"Huh? Why?" I said as I straightened myself.

"If you really were thinking of how I looked like on my first day, you should be thinking of how I would look so purdy at school and you should be smiling at that thought but then you're frowning. Unless you are thinking how ridiculous I would bring myself to school. Now that's something to frown about," she laughed. "But really, what's wrong? You were in deep thoughts just then. You don't wanna do the twenty-four hour thing? Cause really it's fine, you don't have to force yourself."

The twenty-four hour thing was the crazy idea she thought of for today. She told me about it three days ago so that I would book tonight and tomorrow for it.

The twenty-four hour thing is her proposal on Skyping for twenty-four hours straight. We slept as much as we can before doing this. We didn't go for my morning Skype here so that we could rest and get enough energy for this, and I already missed her like hell though we just missed this morning to talk. I kept thinking of her the whole time I was awake (which was almost the whole day). So much for fueling myself for this.

We've prepared some rules and procedures too. The both of us would have to use a laptop as the main device. If we had to do something that required us to be away from the laptop for some time, like maybe to cook or to get something outside the room, we would use SnapChat's live chat. If we needed to take a shower, we would need to bring the laptop close to the bathroom's door, but it shouldn't be facing the bathroom, and we would resume facing each other when we're fully clothed.

Same Skype rules follow: no using of phone (I seriously taped my phone to the wall behind me so that it would be visible to Michelle), no showing of muscles (Michelle insisted), no "hair thing", no tight shirts, both hands should always be seen, if we were to take a shower, our phones would replace us on screen. This is to reassure each other that we are not talking to anyone else. We have to eat meals together, but we have to stick to the random ingredients thing.

We already started around three o'clock here, so it was four o'clock for Michelle. Half an hour has passed, it's still bright and sunny here and back at Michelle's, it was dark. Obviously.

"I'm fine with it, really. I'm just worried for you. I don't want you to be weak on your first day of college," I said, half a lie and half the truth. I did worry that she would get sick the next day, but I lied that it was actually what I was thinking.