46

*LEXI'S POV*
Charlie, Gracie, Caleb and I were stood around Heron's kitchen island along with Mrs H. We were waiting for Blake to finish collecting his things from his room. He was heading off to university, and we were all there for a send-off. Blake had chosen to study at UCLAN, University of Central Lancashire, UK. The course he was studying was forensic science and chemical analysis, which didn't surprise me because he'd always been a science geek. He wanted to stay quite local and Gracie appreciated that. Charlie did quite a lot too even though they weren't together. However, I knew that their relationship was definitely heading somewhere, if it weren't for Blake going away to college I reckon they would have gotten together.

It wasn't too emotional, only two people cried, Mrs H and Gracie. They were mostly happy tears though. Mrs H was happy that her son was going off to university, but I could tell that she wished Caleb was there too.

Gracie had made Blake a cake with a simple, 'good luck Blake' message written on it with fondant icing. We all had a slice, and I have to say, it was amazing. The sponge was plain but it had an amazing flavour, a hint of vanilla I think.

We all gave him a card, wished him good luck and said our goodbyes seperatley. I would seriously miss Blake, we'd gotten close, especially recently anyway, I think it was because he had been struggling understanding his sexuality and asked me for help. I was glad I was there for him. And I knew he was always going to be there for me when I needed him.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop but the conversation between Blake and Charlie was easily heard.

"It just feels like everything is going too fast," I heard Charlie complain.

"I know," Blake mumbled, "I'm sorry, but I have to go," He touched Charlie's arm, holding his fingers there, not wanting to rid of the feelings that overcame him.

"I know you do, it's okay, I'll come and visit you," Charlie assured him. I stopped listening then, once I'd acknowledged that their conversation was coming to an end, meaning it could potentially become more intimate and private.

It was arranged that Caleb was going to drive Blake to his uni and help him get settled in but after what happened to him, he hadn't left the house much, so Charlie volunteered to drive him instead. Blake accepted at first but then realised that he would find it too hard to say goodbye to Charlie. So Blake was going to drive himself there so he wouldn't have to say goodbye to anyone when he'd arrived. It would also be handy for him to have a car if he needed to get anywhere, but he hadn't planned on taking it at first, because there wasn't any allocated parking near his dorm room.

I felt bad for Caleb. It could have been him leaving too. It should have been. When I asked him if he was okay, he just shrugged it off and said he was fine, but I didn't exactly believe him.

Just before Blake set off we all said another final goodbye. I had embraced him in a hug and we didn't let go of each other until a few minutes had passed. I whispered the words, "I'll miss you," in addition to, "Good luck man, I'm here for you,"

I really wished him the best in life.

***

Caleb had settled on the courts in his garden and it wasn't long before I joined him. At first we just sat together in silence, neither one of us wanting to break the perfect peace.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do next year," I'd been overthinking way too much and I just wanted to finally say everything out loud.

"At least you know you can get into a school at late admission," Caleb chuckled at his own words.

"Look, you still have a while yet so work your butt off and you have more of a chance, plus you have basketball? You can easily get a scholarship from that," He mentioned. The thought of basketball made the hairs on my arm stand. I hated not knowing what I wanted to do in the future.