26

*LEXI'S POV*
I was nervous as soon as realisation hit me when I woke up in the morning, it was game day. When everyone told me they'd be on the bleachers cheering for me, it made me even more nervous. I loved that they wanted to be there with me but it made me feel like I had to show them that I was worth it. Knowing that Gracie was watching me was what scared me the most, if I messed up then I didn't want her to like me any less. I listened to some music before the game because it decreased my nerves a little. It was the first time playing basketball with no layer on underneath my basketball uniform. I was terrified that people would see my scars.

"Alright Ladies, gather in,"

We all huddled around in a circle, heads together. The prep talk was what gave me final motivation for the game.

We all got into position on the court. I nodded at Dani and she nodded back. She'd given me a private prep talk on top of the coaches one and that helped a lot too.

The whistle was blown then the ball was thrown. Harley was guarding her player whilst Ember positioned herself a few feet in front. I moved towards the arc and Dani passed to me. It wasn't a secure shot so I passed back to Casey, the only person without a player blocking them.

Casey then dribbled a short distance up the court, with the defence focused on only Harley, Ember and I, she passed to Dani at the top of the three point line.

Dani shot the ball and it was a flawless throw which delivered the ball right into the net. Everyone cheered then got straight back into their positions.

The other team had the ball and headed down the court. One player was dribbling it, I moved with them to guard a player. Harley was on the other side of the player with the ball and together we closed them both in. They dribbled the ball twice and Harley managed to get it.

She dribbled up the court again and I stayed quite close behind her, so she could pass to me if needed. The defence surrounded her so she passed to me and I shot up the rest of the court.

I was within the three point line when I threw the ball towards the basket. It hit the backboard and fell into the rim scoring another two points for the team.

That was my first ever goal playing for the team and I was so proud. I'd shown myself that I could do it and for the first time in a while that was enough.

The other team had acquired the ball again and managed to shoot beyond the three point line meaning we were winning but the other team was close behind, I had to try get the ball back.

Dani passed to Ember and the defence didn't expect that so they were all around Harley and I. Ember made her way up the court with the rest of us close behind. As she was dribbling, someone from the other team acquired the ball and headed in the other direction. I was alert and tackled the offence, getting the ball again.

I dribbled up the court and passed to Dani. She was positioned at the arc when she threw the ball. It hit the backboard and then rolled around the rim before falling in.

There was one minute left of the second half. The other team had scored twice and gained five more points. I'd attempted another shot but missed and also missed the layup. Ember scored two points for the team so we were winning by one point.

The ball was at the other side of the court. I ran to guard an offence player as did Harley. The player passed to a team mate but I blocked the pass and dribbled the ball away.

I got closer to the three point line and passed to Casey. She then dribbled a fraction more before passing it back to me.

I looked over at the clock, only ten seconds remained. I knew that I had to be the one to take the shot. I inhaled. Then exhaled.