42

*LEXI'S POV*
Caleb had been out of the hospital for a week and he was supposedly going back to school. He wasn't going to attend every lesson because he was still struggling with some activities, due to his broken ribs and wrist. It was his left hand that was injured so he was still able to write and do everything with his right.

I walked out of the bathroom after just brushing my teeth. I headed down to the basement as that was where I left Caleb a few minutes before. He had barley shifted from his previous position, a beanbag next to the wall, which I'm pretty sure was new.

"You gonna be okay?" I asked, as I grabbed my bag from beside him. The remote control was chucked on the floor close to him, so I picked it up and turned of the TV.

"Yeah I'm gonna be fine," Caleb simply uttered, "because I'm not going," he shrugged, then focused his attention back to his lap. I noticed that his legs were shaking slightly, and the tilt of his head made me worry again.

"Uh, why not?" I looked at him, my stare antagonistic, "you're skipping your first day back?" My tone was judgemental, which was unusual for me, but I was worried about my friend.

"Yeah, can't face it," He muttered, but he didn't look up at me. In Caleb's hands was a football, he hadn't managed to go back out on the field because even though the coma was fake he still struggled, but I'd helped him to do simple throwing and catching exercises as well as shooting. He was just holding the ball and staring at the wall. I swear he wasn't even blinking.

"Want me to bunk?" I dropped my bag back on the floor. It clunked as it hit the ground, I swore under my breath, I'd forgotten that I had put a bottle of vodka in my bag the day before.

"Nah man, you should go, I kinda just wanna be alone," He nodded, looking at nothing in particular which made me frown and a sudden sadness dawned upon me.

"Alright sure, but...Caleb?"

"Yeah?" He replied hesitantly, only then did he look up at me.

"Call me?" I wanted him to know that I was there for him like he'd always been there for me.

"Mate you live at my house," He stated, which made me groan. I hadn't been home in a while, and he liked to remind me that it was his house, therefore he was the greatest best friend. I had to agree with him though, he was the greatest best friend, a hell of a lot better friend than I was or ever would be.

"Not officially," I groaned, but I couldn't not smile. He was the second best thing that ever happened to me, in between Gracie and basketball.

"Fuck off," He replied, a grin started to grow on his face.

"I'll see you later man, if you need anything-" He cut me off before I could even finish.

"Lexi, I'll call you if I need you," He assured me. He had a tired smile on his face, which didn't fool me at all but I shrugged it off. He just needed space and I didn't want to pressure him into talking about anything, I know how much that sucked.

I picked my bag back up and grabbed my trainers from beside the sofa, from where I kicked them off after my morning run. I nodded goodbye to Caleb then ran up the basement stairs, attempting two steps at once which surprisingly succeeded. Gracie and Blake were waiting for me in Gracie's car, and when they saw that Caleb wasn't with me they both gave questioning looks.

"He's not feeling so good," I mentioned, once I'd opened the passengers car door, "He just needs a few extra days," I watched as Gracie's facial expression softened, which always made me nervous. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it delicately, "He'll be okay, trust me,"