Charlotte's Back

Charlotte's POV

It has been quite a while since I had that visit with Maddie, I miss her. I asked Mrs. Harring when I can go and visit again but she isn't telling me anything. I hate it here without Maddie, it is boring and not fun at all. Especially because a few days ago a new boy came to the orphanage, his name is Ethan and he is a real jerk! When no one is around he will come to my room and pick on me by hitting me and pulling my hair and he also calls me a lot of mean names. He said that if I tell Mrs. Harring on him he will hurt me and the stuffed bunny I have that my mom gave me when I was little, the only thing that I have left from her. Ethan stole it from my room and he uses it as leverage because he knows I cannot have anything happen to that bunny. I want to leave this place and see Lana and Maddie... Why don't I just go on my own? I remember how to get there from here. See the orphanage used to be located in Vancouver, but when Maddie moved here we decided to move too. We needed to upgrade to a bigger house and I convinced Mrs. Harring to move to L.A with Maddie so I can visit. I have her wrapped around my finger! Anyway, we are not that far from Maddie's house and I can manage to get there from here. 

Ethan: "Hey stupid, what are you doing?"

Me: "Go away Ethan, I don't want to fight right now."

Ethan: "Well you don't have a choice!"

Ethan then grabbed me by my hair and threw me to the ground. He hopped on top of me and punched my right in the nose and I could feel the blood dripping all down my face. Then he punched me in the eye, I bet that will leave a mark. I finally got him off of me and I ran out of my bedroom door and down out the front one. I could hear him screaming my name and running after me. Mrs. Harring wasn't home at the moment because she was out grocery shopping with some of the little kids. I just kept running as fast as I could and eventually, I looked back to see that Ethan was gone thankfully. My eye was throbbing and my nose was still dripping blood so I just wiped it with my t-shirt. Now I just have to get to Maddie's. 

I think it has been almost a half an hour and I finally reached Maddie's house, good thing  I have a super good memory. It comes in handy sometimes! I got up on the porch and knocked lightly on the big door in front of me. I hope they are home or else I did this for nothing. 

Lana: "Charlotte?!"

Me: "Hi Lana, I came to see you and Maddie."

Lana: "Honey, your nose is all bloody and oh my! Your eye is black! What happen to you, come in right now."

Me: "Well this boy Ethan came to the orphanage a few days ago and it seems like his favorite daytime activity is to pick on me. He beat me up and then I ran here." 

Lana: "Wait, what? Where is Mrs. Harring? Does she know what Ethan does to you? Come here we have to clean you up."

She grabs my hand a leads me to follow her to the bathroom. 

Me: "She was out grocery shopping with the little kids, she doesn't know I am here and please don't send me back. Ethan is so mean and I don't want to be without Maddie there! I can't tell Mrs. Harring because Ethan has my stuffed bunny my mom gave me and he will destroy it and I can't lose that bunny!"

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt Lana wipe the tears with her thumb from my cheek. She sat my down on top of the toilet and knelt down on the floor to the same height as me. Then she wrapped her arms around me and gave a nice tight hug. 

Lana: "Awe, Charlotte I am so sorry this is happening to you. Here I will make a deal with you... You can spend a night or so here but I do have to call Mrs. Harring and tell her that you are here and what Ethan is doing to you."

Me: "NO! He will destroy my bunny and that is the only thing that I have left of my moms, you can't please Lana."

Lana: "I will tell her about the bunny and she will get it from him don't worry, adults are smarter than you think missy, it will be okay. Now let's get you cleaned up, shall we?"

Me: "Okay."

She got me a wet cloth for me to wipe my face with and one of her old t-shirts to wear since mine was covered in my dry blood. She returned to the bathroom holding an icepack.

Lana: "Here, hold this on your eye. Hopefully, this will help with the swelling and bruising. Maddie is out with Sean right now for ice cream and will be home soon. Until then, why don't you come watch a movie with me? Right after I call Mrs. Harring?"

Me: "Okay, sure."

We walk downstairs and I get settled on the couch while she is in the living room talking on the phone. I really don't want to go back there because I like it here so much better already. 

Lana: "Okay, she said you can stay here as long as you never run away again. Also, she is dealing with Ethan as we speak. He is not at home right now so, she is getting your bunny first. Now let's watch some Disney!"

Lana cuddled up next to me on the couch as we watched Beauty and the Beast. I started to get really tired and my eyes were drooping, Lana pulled my head onto her lap and I fell asleep cuddling against her. I felt happy right now and I fell asleep with a smile on my face. 

Hey everyone! Sorry it has been over a week, busy with studying! All done culminating projects thank gosh but exams start on Thursday. The question of the chapter is: What grade are you in?