Chapter 5

That night was one of the most difficult nights Savanna had been through. Once she and Stephanie had finished up a game of twister, they decided to head to Stephanie's room for the night.

"I just can't believe this is happening. Who would have thought that a stupid nerd like me would have so many problems?" Savanna sighed as she slumped onto Stephanie's bed.

"Come on, Sav, don't be so hard on yourself. None of this was your fault. Your life will be back to normal in no time!" Stephanie stated reassuringly.

"Sorry, Steph. I don't know why I'm being such a worry wart. You're right, I should celebrate being free from my parents for a while!" Savanna exclaimed jokingly.

After a few more laughs and some lighthearted conversation, Savanna was in a great mood again. As she lied down next to her best friend to go to sleep, she knew that everything was going to be fine.

"Savannah, are you asleep? Sav?" Savanna woke up to Stephanie shaking her awake.

"What do you want, Steph? It's like twelve in the morning, we have to wake up early."

Savanna rolled over to her other side.

"Sav! You need to wake up now. It's about your parents."

Savanna jerked the covers off of herself. "Are they alright? Have they been released from the hospital?" She exclaimed in a whisper.

"No, I... mama just came up here to wake me up and tell me, she said not to tell you until the morning, but it's important, Sav..." Stephanie's voice cracked a little at that last sentence, her usually happy face grave.

"Wha- what is it, Stephie?" Savanna stuttered. She was afraid now, she could sense the tension in her friend's voice.

"They're in a bad state, your parents. Mama said they're in the ICU at the hospital. Your dad got a very bad concussion and your mama is in a coma."

Savanna gasped. "Oh... they'll be alright, Steph... I- they..." she burst into sobs, unable to convince herself any further that her parents would be alright.
Stephanie embraced her in a tight hug as tears started to flow onto the sheets.
"It's gonna be ok, Sav." were the only words that Stephanie could think of to comfort Savanna, although she knew that things really may not be ok.