Chapter 32

"Sav, where were you?" Oli asks, pulling her into a gentle embrace.

"I was just doing some shopping." Savanna chuckles, confused by Olivia's tone.
She tries to pull away, but Oli held her a second longer.
Savanna laughs. "Oli? Are you good?"

"Oh, yeah." She blushes, pulling back. "I just feel bad about being so harsh with you before you left."

"Awe, you were worried about me! How sweet!" Sav coos jokingly.

Olivia turns an even brighter shade of red.
"Savanna, you should really tell someone where you're headed before you leave."

"Whatever you say, babe." Sav says, laughing to herself as she turns away.

Olivia rolls her eyes and smiles.
"So, where were you?"

Savanna colapses onto her bed.
"Oh y'know... just the ice cream shop." She states nervously.

"You're a bad liar." Oli grins, and sits at Savanna's feet.
"You went downstairs?"

Savanna breathes in slowly, her expression falling. "Yeah."

"That's fine. I mean as long as you aren't buying tons of drugs or something." Oli chuckles. "What did you get?" She adds with a warm smile.

"Nothing important." Savanna sits up, shrugging.

Olivia eyes the brown paper bag at the foot of Sav's bunk.
She grabs it, and begins to rummage through the few items.

"Oli! I said it's nothing." She grabs the bag from Olivia before she can retrieve anything.

"Okay, fine. I trust you." Oli laughs. "I have to go to the bathroom, don't disappear again."

Savanna grins and nods to her.
Maybe she shouldn't trust me. No, I'm doing the right thing... she just can't know.

Savanna draws in a deep breath, and slides the paper sack under her bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oli, I'm going for a walk!" Sav calls, Olivia rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Kay... good morning." She replies, throwing her blanket off of her still tired body.

Savanna sends a warm smile her way, grabs her worn backpack, and walks out.

When she reaches the creaking wooden stairs, Savanna takes a deep breath, and sprints down.
The oddly familiar smell of smoke, metal, and dirt fills her nostrils, and a smile stretches across her face without warning.

"Savanna!" A deep voice calls out.

She turns on her heel, her eyes stopping on a tall man rising from his chair.

"Lucas, hey!" Sav replies cheerfully. His skin looks a deeper shade of tan than it was the night before.

"Back so soon? You only came last night."
He smirks, his pale eyes squinting slightly.

"Yeah, I figured I should probably get some advice." She pauses. "Y'know, for my trip."

"Right, right. And who are you looking to for advice, eh?" He asks casually.

"Well..." Savanna laughs nervously, causing Luke to grin. "Well, I don't really know. Anyone, I guess."

"Well, you just happen to be talking to the best source for advice around." Lucas smiles.
"Come sit with me."

He leads Sav back up the wooden stairs, and pulls out a chair for her at a small table.

"Thanks." She nods shyly.

Lucas looks into her eyes, waiting.

"So um..." Savanna runs her fingers through her long, bright hair.
"This is kinda crazy... but whats the best way to get the the border?"

Luke's brow shoots up above his glistening eye.
"You mean Mexico?"

"Yeah..."

He sighs. "Well then. Who are you going with?"

"Myself."

A shaking laugh escapes Luke's mouth.
"Are you kidding? What are you doing?"

"I need to find someone." Sav replies awkwardly.

"You're downright insane if you're going down there. Basically a war going on." Lucas breathes.

"Are you serious?" Savanna's heart races.

"Bloody oath! That place is squirming with gangs. Crazy ones too." He explains.

"Maybe you could help me. I'll pay you to come with me... as long as you don't kill me along the way." Savanna half-jokes.

"Jesus, woman." Luke sputters.
"Why would I risk my life for some dough?"

Savanna bites her lip, at loss for words.

"Who are you with, Savanna?" Lucas sighs.

"Uhm... the Asesinós." She mutters.

"You're serious?" He asks, eyes wide.

"Y- yes..." Sav stutters, her heart rate still rising.
"Is that a problem, or..?"

"Ah, no! No, I uhm- you know Ian?" He asks importantly.

Savanna's heart skips a beat. "You know him?"

There's a long pause. Lucas stares at the table, and knits his brow.

"I owe him my life."