Chapter 26

Savanna sighs, and yawns, sitting upright.
She'd fallen asleep on Ian's bed.

As she looks around, still half-asleep, she remembers what had happened the night before, but pushes away the thought.

As Sav reaches the door of the dormitory, Oli is standing at her bunk.

"Sav! Where have you be-"

Savanna runs to embrace her, tears streaming from her eyes, blurring her vision.

The room was empty, Savanna's heavy breathing and sobs the only thing interrupting the piercing silence.

"I know... I know." Olivia whispers, stroking Sav's hair.
"Everything is going to be fine." she pushes Savanna from her to look into her eyes.

"What if something happens?" Savanna whimpers.

"I told you, everything is going to be fine."
Oli sternly reassures her. "Nobody is coming through that border, and nobody is going to get hurt."

"Okay. Is there anything I can do?" Savanna sighs, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"What do you mean? Ian's team he's taking down there are super highly trained. They're all gonna be fine, Sav. They don't need any help."
Olivia states confidently.

"But there are no guarantees." Savanna replies flatly.

"What... What do you mean?" Oli asks, eyebrows furrowed.

"You can't say for sure that people are going to be ok. Something could happen. Those people that killed the last team we sent out, " Oli winced at the word 'killed'. "They're not messing around." Sav finished shakily.

"Savanna." Olivia looks straight into her eyes, a serious look taking over her usually happy expression. "I promise you, everything is going to be fine. Ian and everyone else are going to come back. It may just be a while."

Sav nods, trying to smile. "Okay."

Olivia pulls her into a tight hug. "Everything will be fine, I promise."