Chapter 17

Savanna jolts awake, yells filling her ears.
She feels a little cold, and damp. There is something soft and moist covering her eyes.

I can't be drowning, I can still breathe.
She thinks.

A second later, when her brain is fully awake and she is sitting upright, she wipes white foam off her face.

Sav laughs.
She is surrounded by about fifty- no, more like sixty- A-Club members, each holding a canister of shaving foam, the white fluff all over the room. Once they see that she's awake, they all yell "Surprise!" in not-so-perfect harmony.

Savanna covers her face in her palms, slightly embarrassed, but mostly amused and full of excitement.
Oli steps out of the crowd to embrace her in a hug.

"Happy birthday, Sav!" she exclaims, obviously very excited.

As the crowd slowly clears out of the room, still talking loudly, Griffin, Drew, and Shawn approach Savanna's cot.

"Hey, Sav! How's it feel to be seventeen?" Griffin asks, a warm smile stretched across his face.

"Oli was right, it's not much different than fifteen." Savanna replies as she gives him a hug.

Drew and Shawn also say a quick "Happy Birthday" before heading to breakfast.

Olivia and Sav stay seated on the cot.

"So." Oli says, raising an eyebrow.

"So what?" Sav asks, almost defensively.

"Ian hasn't come to say 'happy birthday'." Olivia says suspiciously.

"Yet." Savanna adds. "He will."

"If you say so... Just don't get your hopes up; he usually doesn't participate in holiday activities and whatnot." Oli shrugs.

Savanna chews on her lower lip thoughtfully.
"He will." she repeats simply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, excited for your little party tonight?" Oli asks with a grin, looking through a drawer of clothes.

"Little? The whole 'team' will be there." she explains, her eyebrows slightly furrowed.

"Fair point. Well, don't be nervous. It's just a casual party. No cake or anything; pretty much just a big hangout." Olivia says absentmindedly, still searching for garments.

"Ok... What should I wear? This?" Savanna gestures to her plain t-shirt, denim shorts, and converse.

Olivia whips her head around, eyes wide.
"Did you seriously just ask that?"

There is a pause as Sav wonders if she's supposed to answer.

"Of course you can't wear that. It's a party." Oli rolls her eyes before pulling a simple dress out of the drawer.

"Here it is..." she mutters to herself.
"Try this on, I'll turn around." She demands, thrusting the dress into Savanna's arms.

As she unbuttons her shorts, Sav can't help but think of Stephanie, and how she was usually the one to pick out party outfits for her. She shakes the thought out of her head, and continues changing her clothes.

"A little help?" She squeaks, and Oli turns around to face her.

"Sure." Oli laughs, and helps Savanna zip up the back of her dress.

"C'mon, there's a full-length mirror in the next room!" Oli exclaims.

As she reaches the mirror, Savanna smiles at her reflection. The dress is a light forest green, her fiery red hair standing out against the soft fabric. It's a simple dress, with a skater-skirt bottom, a round neckline, and thin sleeves that don't go past her shoulders.

"Now it's time for makeup!" Oli squeals.