Chapter 16

"You sure you're alright, Sav?" Oli asks, sitting down on her cot.

"Yeah..." she hesitates. "I just feel like Steph is- Stephanie is" she corrects herself. "choosing Shawn over me. It doesn't bother me that they're dating, it bothers me that she never talks to me."

Olivia waits a moment, her eyebrows furrowed, biting her lower lip.

"I get that it feels like that. Maybe she's waiting for you to talk to her." She suggests.

Savanna shrugs. "Yeah, maybe."

Oli smiles. "So, you're seventeen tomorrow, huh?" She nudges Sav with her hand.

Savanna loosens, happy to find something happy to focus on.

"Yeah. Seventeen... feels weird." She giggles.

Olivia laughs. "Seventeen isn't amazing. It's pretty much the same as being sixteen."

Savanna shrugs. "I guess so."

Olivia opens her mouth to speak, but closes it again, blushing.

"What?" Sav chuckles.

"Nothing..." Oli smirks.

"Seriously, Oli!" Savanna laughs as she hits her with a pillow.

"Ok, ok!" Olivia raises her hands. "I surrender!"

Both of the girls giggle before Oli explains:
"It's technically supposed to be a surprise, but since you insisted..." she takes a deep, dramatic sigh, and winks at Savanna.
"We have a tradition that when it's someone's birthday we... surprise them." Olivia finishes, a smug look on her face.

"Well that's informative." Savanna sneers.
"As long as you don't attack me again, I'm down."

"Deal. Listen, I need to meet someone, why don't you go find Griffin or something." Oli suggests.

Savanna frowns, one eyebrow raised.

"What?" Olivia asks defensively.

"Why do you suggest that I hang out with Griffin?" Sav asks suspiciously.

"Did something happen between you two? You seemed fine at lunch." Oli asks, tilting her head to one side.

"What do you mean 'did something happen'? We aren't dating." Savanna almost shouts, and crosses her arms.

"Woah, woah! Chill out. Why are you so defensive? I thought you liked him." Olivia says carefully, like she's trying not to anger a wild animal.

"I... can I tell you a secret? I trust you, you've become one of my best friends." Savanna says, avoiding eye contact.

"Of course you can! You're one of my best friends too. You can tell me anything." Oli smiles gently.

"Well..." Savanna scratches the back of her neck. "If you tell anyone, you're dead. But... I think- remember, don't tell anyone. And you can't think I'm weird, or stop talking to me, or judge me, ok?" Savanna whispers urgently.

"Ok! I promise." Olivia laughs.

"I... I think I might like Ian. But I don't know if I like him or his brother. To be honest, I don't want to like anyone at all. It kinda makes things complicated." Savanna buries her face in her hands, embarrassed.

Oli laughs again. "That's all? Don't hesitate to tell me something like that. I couldn't care less if you like someone or not."

"But... Ian? I mean, that's kind of a big deal."
Savanna says, raising her head to look up at Olivia.

"No, it's not. Trust me, he's not as important as he pretends to be." She jokes. "To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he liked you too. Well, let's go to bed, you're gonna have an early morning." Oli warns.

"Oh, joy." Sav rolls her eyes with sarcasm.

The girls exchange 'goodnight's, and drift off to sleep.