Chapter 20

"Seriously? That little..." Ian mutters to himself, pacing.

Savanna had just explained everything Griffin had said to Ian, treading carefully over the parts about having feelings for him.

"Yeah..." Savanna awkwardly slides her foot back and forth on the floor.

"I hope you know that I'd never do something like that to you. Or anyone for that matter."

Ian takes a deep breath before continuing.

"I haven't been trying to lead you on, by the way... I guess I'm just bad at flirting." he smirks as Savanna shifts her eyes to the ground.

"I wouldn't usually mind Griffin saying that, but he knows it's a... Sensitive topic." Ian gulps, his face straight.

"How so?" Sav asks gently, stepping toward him.

"Look, I... I trust you, ok Sav?" he says, a vulnerable glimmer in his eyes.

"I trust you too. You can talk to me, Ian." Savanna tells him quietly.

"Yeah. Well, let me just start out by saying that Griffin is a jealous liar. I'm not a 'player', I've only dated one girl. It was a few years back..." Ian sighs, and blinks a few times. "I thought she was the one. We did everything together, she was my best friend. We talked about our future a lot, she had me convinced that it would all happen."

Ian turns around, not wanting to face Savanna.

"But it didn't. After three years of being what I thought was in love, she left me for some biker guy. Said I was 'too boring' and left. Just like that. I haven't so much as liked a girl since."

"Wow... That sucks." Savanna whispers.
"Listen." She puts her hand on his shoulder, and he slowly turns to face her.

"Ian... I'm really sorry. I don't know exactly how you feel, but that's horrible." she says sincerely.

"Thanks, Sav." Ian chuckles.
"But it's cool. She's gone now and... And now I have other people." he looks her straight in the eyes, his blue-filled irises like glowing crystals.

Savanna's eyes flicker, landing on the floor once again.

"Hey..." Ian mutters.

Savanna looks up at him timidly.

"I like you, Sav. You're a pretty amazing girl." instead of smirking, Ian has a serious, but gentle look on his face.

It's Sav's turn to be the jokester this time.

"Yeah... That's what your brother told me earlier." she smiles widely, like she just won a game.

Ian's cheeks heat up, and he stares at the wall behind Savanna.
She laughs.

"Ian... Your brother is a great guy, but... I wouldn't want to be with someone dishonest like him. If he's jealous, so what? That's his problem. I like you too, ok?"

"Ok." Ian lets out awkwardly, eyes wide.
"Yeah, awesome." he laughs.

Ian's watch beeps.

"Look, Sav... I gotta go. But promise me we'll talk soon?"

Sav smiles tenderly.
"Promise."

She squeezes his upper arm before he turns to leave.
Savanna is left standing there, smiling as she watches Ian walk away.

"Stop being stupid." Sav smiles to herself, and starts out of the room.