Chapter 15

"Hey, Sav!" Griffin calls from across the cafeteria, patting the empty spot next to him.

"Coming!" Savanna waves, running toward his table.

Once she reaches it and sits down, Drew asks,
"So, how's cleanup duty?"

He smirks as Savanna's face contorts with anger.

"Think it's funny, do you?" She stands up and places a fist in her left hand.

"C'mon, Sav, loosen up." Griffin pulls her back down to her seat by the wrist.
"You can beat him up later." He whispers.

Savanna manages a smile, and nods her head.

"Where's Shawn?" Olivia asks no one in particular.

"Probably hanging out with his girlfriend." Savanna scoffs.
She hangs out with Shawn during lunch, but avoids eye contact with me- her best friend- every time she sees me? She probably doesn't want anything to do with me...

"Sav." Griffin snaps in her face, breaking her out of her daze.

"Yeah?" She blurts out sloppily.

Griffin points to two figures walking toward their table, and stands to greet them.

"Well..." he says, clapping Shawn on the shoulder as he approaches, Steph's hand in his.
"Look who decided to show up for lunch."
Griff finishes, half-joking.

"Yeah, yeah, I miss five minutes of lunch, big deal." Shawn says as he sits down.

Savanna's eyes are fixed on Stephanie and Shawn's intertwined fingers. Steph catches her gaze, and uncomfortably shifts in her seat.

"I finally got Stephie to join us for lunch." Shawn smiles, and gently nudges her with his elbow.

"Ooh, Stephie!" Drew chirps in a high-pitched voice.

Steph and Shawn both turn red, and, hands still locked together, put their hands out of sight under the table.

Everyone else laughs. Everyone but Savanna, that is.
She can't help but thinking, She chose Shawn over me? Pathetic...

Sav rises from her seat and says,
"I'm not feeling too good, who knows what was in those burgers. I'm gonna go... organize my locker."
She meant for it to come out in a more convincing tone, but instead, her voice shakes a little with every word.

"Alright, Sav. Tell me about all the fun you've had with cleanup duty later!" He sneers jokingly.

Savanna smiles at him, sarcasm strewn across her face, and turns toward her class.

Griffin is soon following her, jogging to catch up.
He puts his hand on her shoulder to turn her around.

"Hey, listen, I know it's weird... Shawn is my best pal, I've known him forever. He's never even showed interest in a girl before, and it sucks, I feel like he's choosing Steph over me... and I know you feel the same way." Griff says, his jaw clenched.

"Yeah, I just wish things were normal again between Steph and I." Savanna sighs.
"I feel like she's doing this to hurt me, but I know that's not something she'd do. I just miss my best friend, you know?"

Griffin nods. "Yeah, I know."

Without another word, he slides his arm across Savanna's shoulders, and they walk toward their lockers; just as the bell rings.