Chapter 27

"So... You needed me?" Savanna asks curiously.

Drew smiles widely.
"Mhmm."

There's a pause.

"So? What do you need?" Sav asks awkwardly.

"Well, we've been observing your behavior and activities, and Griff has made the final decision on your position!" Drew exclaims, clearly more excited than Savanna.

"My position in the team? Well, what is it?" Sav asks, smiling slightly.

"We decided on- for now, at least- recruiter! We figured that since you're going back to school tomorrow, you'll be able to scout out new members."

"Right... School." Sav's heart skips a beat as she remembers. "Sounds perfect. Thank you so much." she steps forward to hug Drew.

"Of course! You deserve this position, I think it's perfect for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, did Drew tell you?" Oli asks Savanna as she walks to their bunk.

"Mhm! Recruiter... Sounds cool, I guess."
Sav shrugs.

Olivia sighs.
"You've been acting weird."

"Really? Hm, wonder why..." Sav mutters sarcastically, a mix of annoyance and hurt in her tone.

"It's going to be fine. You know we have communications with them. Ian even said that things are going just as planned." Olivia reassures her.

"I know." Sav sighs.
She opens her mouth to speak, but closes it again.

Oli stares at her, trying to read her face.
As Savanna looks up to meet her gaze, she sighs again.

"Why hasn't he talked to me? He hasn't even said 'say hi to Savanna for me' or anything."
Sav swallows the lump in her throat, holding back tears.

"You know how busy Ian is. Besides, he's focussed on keeping things professional, and just worrying about what's going on at the border. He has a lot on his plate, Sav."
Olivia stares at Savanna, a gentle glimmer in her eyes.

"Yeah, I know... Sorry." Savanna takes a deep breath. "Let's talk about something else".

"Ok..." Olivia thinks for a moment. "Want to go get ice cream?"