Chapter 40

"It's literally a thrift store, stop worrying."
Luke sighs.

"We don't have to go anywhere nice, you really don't need to buy me anything." Sav laughs nervously.

"I'm not doing it for you, I want a good dinner and you're coming along."

"Fine." Savanna rolls her eyes and smiles.

"Seriously, go find something cute." Lucas glances at his watch absentmindedly.

"So now you think I'm cute?" Savana teases.

"Hm?" Luke looks up from the ground. "I said to find some cute clothes, don't flatter yourself."

"Well, this is cute." Sav gasps excitedly, showing him a dark purple sundress.

"For church with your grandma." Luke mumbles.

"Thanks."

"Just being honest." he nods his head to the beat of a pop song echoing through the store. 

"C'mere. This says 'womens dress clothes'." Lucas notices.

"What about this?" Savanna pulls a red dress from a clothing wrack. It's satin-like material falls to Sav's mid-thigh as she holds it up. 

"Yeah, that's a ripper of a dress." he nods approvingly, then points toward the dressing room. "You might wanna try it on." 

After a few minutes of fumbling with the back zipper, Savanna emerges from the dressing room. Adorning a shy smile, she asks "What do you think? I think it's my size."

The silky fabric clutches at her figure beautifully, as if it were custom made to her form. The thin spaghetti straps compliment her feminine shoulders, the square neckline exentuating her glowing tan skin.

Luke clears his throat, blinking rapidly. "Yeah, probably is." He unintentionally looks her up and down, taking in how the rich crimson compliments her complexion perfectly. 

"Probably your size. I like it."

"Okay, perfect. I guess I'll change back into my other clothes and we'll head out." she suggests.

"Yeah, perfect." Lucas smiles, realizing how quickly he's falling for her.

"I'm only helping her to pay Ian back. She's just a task. I'm not into her." he mumbles under his breath. In an instant, his expression shifts to a serious, thoughtful look. 

"Hope Ian stays loyal this time around."