Chapter 14

Two weeks later, Savanna was beginning to feel like she belonged with the 'A' Club.
Yeah, that's the decided codename.

'A' Club? That's pretty stupid...
Savanna thought when she first heard the name.
But now the codename has become a familiar phrase to her.

Savanna now had a cot next to Olivia's, started archery training, and is on... cleanup duty.

"C'mon, Sav. All the beginners get cleanup duty for the first couple of weeks. It's not all that bad." Griffin reassures her as they walk to school.

"It really is bad, Griff. You wouldn't know, your brother probably gave you an exciting position right away." Savanna scoffs.

Griffin scratches the back of his neck nervously.
"Well, I'm his brother. Plus, we didn't have many recruits in the beginning, so it only made since."

Savanna kicks a rock out of her way, a little harder than she meant; it flies up and hits a parked car.
Griffin gives her a look, then turns his gaze back to his shoes.

"It seems like Ian is picking on me. It's getting annoying. First sleeping without a pillow for three days, then cleanup duty for two weeks, now what? Seriously..." Sav grumbles under her breath.

"You know Ian, that just means he likes you. He knows you can handle it." Griff shrugs.

"Yeah, I mean I know he likes me," Sav starts.

Griffin stops dead and his tracks and stares at her.

"Not like that, stupid. He's eighteen." Savanna rolls her eyes.

"Still, that's only two years. You'll be sixteen tomorrow." He smooths back his hair nervously. "I'm just making sure... I mean, like, making sure your ok, not like... not like I like you or-"

"Yeah, I got the point, Griff." Savanna laughs.
"Thanks for 'looking out for me'." She winks at him.

As they near the school entrance, Savanna gives Griffin a playful punch on the shoulder.

"See you at lunch." She says.

"You got it."
Griff solutes her, and it reminds her of when Ian did the same thing when she first joined the Asesinós.
She smiles with the thought of him playfully soluting her as she first walked through the mysterious door that leads to her new home.

She stops, almost stumbling over.

I do not like Ian. He's eighteen, I'm almost sixteen. He's the leader, I'm on garbage duty. Besides... I can't seem to get his brother out of my head.

Savanna gulps, takes a deep breath, and walks toward her locker.