Chapter 24

"I'm stressing out, Oli! What do I wear? What should I do?" Savanna asks frantically.

Olivia puts her hands on Sav's shoulders.

"Sav. It's just a date. It's no different than the two of you just hanging out. You're fine." Oli smiles reassuringly. "As for your outfit..."

Olivia walks over to her bunk, opens a drawer, and pulls out a pair of ripped up skinny jeans, and a simple black t-shirt with short, rolled sleeves.

She hands them to Savanna. "Good thing we're the same size, huh?" Oli chuckles.

"Thanks, Oli." Sav pulls her into a tight hug, startling her.

Olivia relaxes, and laughs. "You're gonna have so much fun, Sav. You'll have to tell me all about it!" She smiles.

"You know I will." Savanna giggles. "Thanks again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Savanna climbs outside, she spots Ian right away. He's facing the other direction, staring into the undergrowth.

"Hey, Ian." She finally musters up the courage to call his attention to her arrival.

His eyes light up as he turns around to face Savanna.

"You look great." He says, hugging her.

"As always." Savanna laughs jokingly.

"You're not wrong." Ian smirks.
"Ready?"

Savanna's face lights up. "Let's go." She smiles, taking Ian's hand.

They talk the whole way to the little ice cream shop. Explaining their life stories, interests, goals, successes and failures.

They finally reach the small building, new graffiti mixing with the old signatures and crude lettering on the brick walls.

As they step inside, hand in hand, the same old man from last time stares at them, a bored expression on his face.

"Morning, Bill." Ian grins.

"Ian." He grunts, nodding his head.

"This is Savanna." Ian says, gesturing to her with his head.

The man named Bill scoffs, staring at her.
"We've met."

"Oh..." Ian looks at Savanna with a spark of suspicion in his gaze. She shrugs in return.

"I'll have a chocolate, please." Ian tells the skinny old man.
"What about you, Sav?" He asks, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Same thing... please." She smiles.

Bill rolls his eyes, and turns away to get the ice cream.

"How much do I owe you?" Ian asks.

"It's on me. You finally got a girlfriend, enjoy it while it lasts." He replies bitterly.

Ian grimaces, and thanks him.

"Sorry about him." Ian whispers as they make their way over to a small table.

"It's fine, Ian." Sav chuckles.

"So..." the two sit down across from each other.
"You've been here before?"

"Oh, um yeah... it was a while ago." Savanna half-lies.

Ian nods his head.
"I'm really glad you agreed to this." He laughs nervously.

"Me too." Savanna chuckles. "So chocolate is your favorite flavor?"

"Yeah. You too?"

Savanna nods her head. She tries to take a bite of ice cream, but most of it ends up on her- actually Olivia's- shirt.

Ian can't help but laugh.

"Yeah, I know. So funny." Sav mutters sarcastically, wiping the ice cream off her shirt with a napkin.

"God, you're amazing, Sav." Ian chuckles under his breath, smiling.

"Hm?" Savanna looks up from her stained shirt.

"Nothing. I just-" His phone buzzes.
"Sorry. I need to take this." He says apologetically.

He stands up, putting the phone to his ear.

"Oh God..." Ian wipes his face with his hand.
"Ok, ok... yes. I'll send someone down. Stay at the border." He demands.
He puts the phone back in his pocket, putting his hand on his face, sighing.

"What's wrong?" Sav asks, standing up.

"I'm so sorry... we need to go. I'll explain later." He blinks several times, and clears his throat. "Come on." He holds out his hand, trying to smile.

Savanna takes it hesitantly, and they speed-walk back to the facility, Ian absorbed into his phone the whole way there.