Prologue

Hi everyone, so this my new wolf book.  It is only a draft so keep that in mind. Enjoy :)

Prologue

Year 1990 – The Beginning of the End

There are approximately 528 million people living in North America; with that population being made up of only 30% humans, and the remaining 70% werewolves. 

When you look at it like that; I guess humans do have a reason to fear and hate the creatures that lurk in their everyday lives.  In the beginning it was simply jealousy and that constant fear which is to be expected; but now I cannot simply even rationalise what is happening.

We are at war.  There was no negotiation or any warning.

We were expected to comply.

They expected us to comply………….

Sitting here expected to rot in this old and tainted cell; I know somewhere out there my daughter is still alive, her beating heart still clear in my mind.  Only my tears were left to remember her by….. 

The humans had taken everything from us………

The faint booming in the house was what woke me first; my mind seemed groggy; my internal clock struggling with why I had been woken at such an early hour.

It was only two in the morning when we became aware of their attack.  Bringing their mutts, they tracked us to our home and trapped my family.  My husband was the first to be slaughtered; obviously registering as the biggest threat to them.

Being startled awake by the gunshots in the house, it seemed my husband had been expecting the attack; my heart feeling like it was ready to tear in two, with the thought of him gone without me even getting a chance to say goodbye.

Like all wolf packs, we had our leaders, the Alpha and Luna.  Now that the Alpha had fallen, I expected I would not be long after.

Using what little strength I had from my sudden awakening, I pulled myself out of bed with pace.  My mind was set on reaching my children; my eldest son most likely helping fend off the attack already.

Racing through the upper story, I was quick to run into my daughter’s room, her constant screaming reminding me time was running out to hide her.

There was no time to admire the old wooden décor through the house.  The sound of my feet pounding against the timber making me realise they knew I was here.

I could hear my own heart thudding hard against my chest; my adrenaline pushing me on, despite the fear that was sitting in my stomach, the fear of a death I knew was coming.

Taking my final steps as I reached to turn the knob to reveal my dear daughter; the thundering growls and paws bashing against the stairs sent a new wave of fear through me. 

The smell had hit me before I could even turn to look; my heart sinking in my chest as I realised they were not simply dogs that the humans were using but werewolves somehow turned and manipulated.

The vicious growling and snapping were telling me the wolves were coming my way being enough to make me dart into the room and slam the door behind me; my mind telling me I only a few seconds to do something.

Frantically pacing around the room; I yanked open the cupboard doors; the more rational side of my conscious begging me to hide my daughter.

Grabbing my poor girl, her own pyjamas were embroidered with her own delicate name.  The soft pink letters of Sonya now pressing into my mind as being the last of her I will ever see.