Chapter 9, Cat and Mouse

Chapter 9

 I had thought once I was carted to wherever I was at now, the pain would cease.

I had begun to gain some respect for these wolves that held me captive but the moment Mario brought out Chris’s bandana, the remorse I felt inside me seemed to drive me towards it like I had to have it.

My head swirled with past memories, my body sensing it being the work of a chemical as I tried to open my eyes, only to be greeted with bright lights.

Barely able to keep them open, there was a heavy weight on my shoulder; almost like something was constricting my movements as I tried to move my front leg, letting out a small growl as I heard someone pacing nearby.

My muscles would not work in the way I wanted and my mind seemed cloudy with the surrounding sounds.

Giving it a moment as I came to, I could make out the cell bars I had become familiar with as the light seemed to dim behind my eyes a little bit, my head turning to focus on the light nearby.

I could now make out the figures standing near the cell; two hazy bodies standing close as my ears picked up the soft sound of them talking.

‘I can’t believe father put me in charge of this; I’m a mechanic not a babysitter………..’

Tuning in and out of what the pair was saying, I couldn’t make out anymore, the rest being quieter and a little garbled.

‘I’ll see you around Mitch, if you need anything just call’.

Hearing the thumping footsteps against the concrete, I managed to lift my head to realise I was covered with blankets and my front leg seemed to be so tightly wrapped that I would struggle to move it.

Trying to roll onto my stomach, I found it extremely difficult with the way I seemed wrapped up, my head trying to pull my torso over as the offender that did this decided to grace me with his presence.

‘Here let me help you, if you’d just behaved in the first place this wouldn’t have happened’.

Feeling Mitch’s hands curling around my body, I was soon lifted so I was resting on my stomach, my teeth trying to reach Mitch as he pushed my groggy head away to stop me attacking him.

‘The hunters messed you up good, I see.  Don’t I even get a thank you for helping’?

Feeling as Mitch let go, he moved back a little, sitting down to press his back against the cell wall.

Turning to look at him, I was surprised as Mitch just sat there watching me, a bored expression coming over his face like he had to stay this close or something.

‘He is still the enemy…..’

My eyes spied the way the door sat ajar, my escape not even worrying the wolf that sat before me; I knew if I was able, I’d already be out of this place.

Looking down at my bloodied fur, I began licking clean my fur like I generally did after a fight; my movements catching the attention of my unwanted guest.

‘If it means anything, I really am sorry.  I know I’m doing a terrible job at earning your trust’.

Hearing Mitch’s voice, my stomach still felt tight with irritation for being shot twice in such a short time span.   Now focusing on Mitch, his senseless small talk would do nothing to change my mind.

It was like he expected that I’d shift back to the human replica someday but he was wrong, I roughly had an idea how I just had no want to shift to the weaker state.