Chapter 13, Another Spanner in the Works

Chapter 13

I had remained human for the last day or so, already becoming paranoid that if I stayed in this weak form I was vulnerable to attack.

Mitch and I had now formed a truce, whilst Mario kept his distance from me, his annoyance and hatred for me only growing with every bit of attention Mitch showed me.

I didn’t understand how being human could have such a change in him so when I walked out of the bathroom that night, I expected some sort of confrontation but instead I was greeted with a silent nod as Mario passed by.

Walking out into the lounge, I noticed the front door sitting ajar as a gentle breeze pushed the fresh air through the stale house only for me to pick up a scent I wished I had longer to hide from.

A small voice inside told me to run but I always knew never to listen, the voice was the coward in me and I knew I’d have to face him sooner or later.

Letting out a lowly growl, I was preparing myself; realising that I hadn’t even heard the vehicle pull up as I watched Mitch walk in, the scent I could never forget following in behind him.

Mitch’s eyes were quick to meet my own, his face showing regret whilst I was sure the look of betrayal I was sending him was noted.

His eyes told what my own voice had; clearly the guest was an unwelcomed one.

Giving Mitch the silent treatment, I stood there in the middle of the lounge, my eyes now meeting the one I saw as the enemy; his eyes watching me closely as his face seemed almost surprised to see me.

Trevor………

He was here after what felt like only a week had passed.

I couldn’t take him on yet, I hadn’t planned for this confrontation to come so soon but what choice did I have, he was here now.

Looking into Trevor’s eyes; I could tell he didn’t expect to see his ‘pet’ standing here staring him down.

Not even the loud sound of Mitch dragging a chair out for his father to sit was enough for me to look away; I could see Trevor had clearly received my silent challenge, his lips pulling into a smirk as he was the first to look away, now walking over and sitting with his son.

Mitch had to be the one to break the silence, the side glances I kept receiving keeping me frozen in place as I waited for an attack.

Never let your guard down; it was my moto and I planned to keep it that way.

‘So father, is there a reason you decided to show up unannounced; it feels like only yesterday you walked out of here to be with your ‘pack’’?

Mitch’s voice was bitter and I could now see he certainly didn’t invite his father here and was neither pleased that he had shown up.

Trevor seemed to think for a minute, his head now turning to look at me once more as he scratched his neck.

‘Can’t a father come to visit his son?  I heard a murmur in the wind that the she-wolf has switched sides; I was curious to see it for myself’.

Rising to the silent challenge; I could see the old man didn’t wish to muck around, his body stiffening as he shifted in his seat so he was directly facing me.

My voice was not my own as I spoke, my hatred filling the thick air.  It was the only word I could manage in my murderous state

‘Leave……….’

The low growl returned was clearly to spite me and I felt the less human side of me stepping up to the challenge now, the disrespect Trevor was showing me being out of line.