Chapter 30, D-Day

Chapter 30

I had been patrolling for most of the afternoon, twice had Mitch come to offer me food but other than that I was alone.

It felt natural being the one to take patrol, I felt as if I was probably the more qualified of myself and Mitch.  I knew Chris would want to spend vast amounts of time catching up with Brad so I didn’t want to bother either of them.

Walking back in the direction of the car we had left, my ears picked up a faint but definite beeping noise, the tune different to that of the bombs Chris has set out.

As I strode closer to the vehicle, the noise only grew louder, the sound disturbing the quiet of the forest, where was the noise coming from?

Stopping as a reached the front of the car, I kneeled down on my front legs curious, what caught my eyes next sent a wave of panic through me.

Attached under the front of the car was the familiar tracker the hunters used on all their vehicles and it looked like someone had activated it.

I could only just make out the bright red flashing between the various metal guards but I knew our day had now turned to hours as I began sprinting back towards the cabin.

‘Mitch, we have a problem’.

I could tell he was alert the moment I had spoken, his voice urgent.

‘Who is it Sonya’?

Taking the familiar track on like before, I launched myself over the fallen trees, running past the burnt patches grass on my way.

‘The hunters have been tracking Brad’s car all along, they know where we are’.

Bounding up the steps once I reached the house, the door flew open before I could reach it.  I could see the look of panic on Brad’s face.

‘What do you mean they’ve been tracking us!  How did you only just figure it out’!

 Looking up to growl at Brad, I think he just may have snapped leaning down to kick me like I was some sort of dog, the man had clearly lost his mind.

Snapping at his heel, he quickly withdrew his leg, his hands rubbing aggressively at his face like he didn’t know what to do.

Soon following him was Mitch who looked between the pair of us like he knew something had happened.

Looking over at Mitch and ignoring the breakdown Brad was having, he looked past me to the trees in thought.

‘We need a plan.  The hunters will surely not be far behind then’.

I nodded in agreement, Mitch already moving over for Chris to come outside, the three of them crowding the veranda whilst I retreated to the steps.

‘I have an idea, although we will need to leave within the hour.  I guess our reunion will have to wait for another time Sonya’.

Looking over at me as he said the last part, I couldn’t agree more.  The hunters were causing more problems than good right now.

Soon enough we were all crammed around Chris’ couch as he pulled up a small table explaining what looked like a map to us.

‘The hunters will come from the north so they’ll expect us to travel further south to try outrun them, only flaw with that plan is that we will end up in wolf territory so I propose we head east to the coast.  From there we can find a way out of the country’.

Somehow I knew Mitch was uncomfortable with this plan, the only problem was that since we were wolves we did not have the identification humans did which meant any transportation as anonymous would be hard to come by.