Chapter 10, Another World

Chapter 10

Sitting at the sliding door, my eyes gazed out over the open area before the forest; my wolf inching to get out there and just run.

The day I had realised this house had a back door, I was honestly surprised at the view it offered; a large paddock was laid out with long grass, hardly cut that I could run in.

After last night’s endeavours, Mitch made me sleep on his floor for the last few hours of the morning before he wandered out just after sunrise, with me being still asleep and not noticing.

Despite wanting to jump onto his bed and curl up at the end like I had with Chris, the constant smell of another wolf being nearby prevented me getting close.

Looking out over the open pasture, the way the wind made the grass sway was making me antsy, my mind constantly telling me I couldn’t go out there otherwise I would be in breach of Mitch’s little rules he had put in place.

Sighing as I turned to walk away, I didn’t expect Mitch himself to be standing in the doorway, like he had been watching me the whole time.

Looking up to meet his eyes, our relationship had changed over the past few days, our silent conversations making me respect him just that little bit whilst he seemed to trust me not to kill his cousin when he wasn’t around.

‘I’ll be working outside today; I figured you’d wanna get out so I won’t even ask the question’.

Seeing Mitch now turn to walk towards the front door, my body was moving before I willed it, as I almost fell in step just behind him, waiting for him to push me away.

Spying the bandana tied on his belt, I was tempted to try and get it from him but I could tell his body was a little stiff like he was waiting for me to try.

Seeing the front door open, the bright light was the first thing to hit me as Mitch walked outside like it was nothing special, my wolf howling in pleasure at being out in the open.

As the first hint of the fresh air greeted me, I was out and around Mitch before he could even protest, bouncing around as I enjoyed the warm sunshine since it had been so long.

Spying the truck parked near the house, I briefly noted Mitch heading towards it, not even bothering to tell me not to go far as I stopped, the anticipation building in me as I let out a long and meaningful howl which seemed to bounce off the distant hills.

I felt like I hadn’t howled in years, which I reality I hadn’t getting a kick to the skull last time I had tried at the compound.

Not expecting anyone to answer, a series of howls returned my calls making me tense, my mind pushing me to go into hunting mode and find the source of the sounds and kill the wolves.

Walking back over to the truck where I could see Mitch; I tried to block out the constant ranting in my mind to attack the wolves.

Rubbing my face in the grass to try and make myself focus on something else, I ended up wrestling with my mind, rolling around in the grass whilst the internal battle raged on.

Not even realising Mitch was now standing above me, I was surprised to look up and see him looking down at me strangely.

‘Something wrong Sonya’?

Looking into his eyes with some hope of getting back my control, Mitch seemed to noticed something was wrong, his smell itself not helping in the slightest bit.

‘I need to….. hunt’.

Listening to my thoughts, Mitch didn’t even seem bothered by what I was saying.  Right now I felt like a vampire who had smelt blood and had to have it, sick I know.