Chapter 3, Day Before Reckoning

Chapter 3

Hearing the alarm clock snap me out of my sleep, Chris had not come back until late last night bringing me more food than usual as an apology. 

Curled up at the end of the bed like usual, Chris seemed exhausted waking up; the late night taking its toll on him as he smiled over at me.

‘Morning Sonya’

Whining as I climbed down from the bed, I didn’t bother to wait for Chris, already stretching and walking over to the door ready for this morning’s run.

I could hear Chris rustling around behind me, our morning conversation being put on hold today until later.

I could sense how tired he was with his lethargic movements but something else seemed off.

Acting like he knew I was thinking through why he was the way he was, I didn’t end up waiting long, with Chris soon dressed and ready for our morning run along the boundaries.

It surprised me just how quick he was ready when usually it took him a lot longer. 

‘You’re keen this morning Sonya, hope you’re ready for a run in the fog’.

Seeing the door open in front of me, I was quick to scamper out until I saw Chris walking at his casual pace and realised I’d have to stay with him and simply couldn’t run to the front doors.

Walking behind Chris as I tried to push him along, he started laughing at me, his pace only quickening slightly to make me happy.

The bandana Chris had tied around my neck was still there; its camouflage pattern reminding me of the lack of camouflage such a pattern gives when hunting wolves.

As we finally got to the front door, the two men that always patrolled gave Chris a genuine look before their eyes landed on me and their faces hardened.

I knew they meant nothing by it, their faces changing once they realised who I was.  Seeing them open the doors for us, I bounded out not even waiting for Chris anymore as he shouted my name.

Racing out away from the front path, I stopped on the lawn and began rolling around, my fur getting covered in the sticky dew from the foggy morning.

Only having being rolling for a few seconds, I could already feel the eyes of the guards on me, not expecting a wolf to run and start playing around like it was Christmas.

Wiggling as my back rubbed into the soft ground, I could hear Chris approaching; his high pitched whistle getting my attention as I rolled to my feet, now shaking my coat off.

Between his laughing, it was hard to make out exactly what Chris was saying but I didn’t even need to be told; now bouncing over to where Chris was.

‘I don’t get why you’re so keen to run today, you were only out hunting last night’?

I could vaguely make out the outline of what looked like a rope hanging from Chris’s pants, most likely given to him in case I ran off or did something like that.

Bouncing around as I stopped by Chris’ side, he directed us towards the track we normally took around the building, the track just being a narrow dirt path, we’d cut in from the amount of times we ran.

Speeding up so I now matched Chris’s slow jog, I was barely doing a small jog myself; immediately cutting in front so I could lead.

My nose took note of all the different smells coming along the track, my breath making clouds of fog in front of me due to the cold temperature.