Chapter 31, One Final Confrontation

Chapter 31

The howl resounded loud in the trees, the very faint sound of the vehicles coming in our direction.

 ‘Why did you lead them here so fast’?

Mitch walked around me, his head nuzzling against my fur until he was satisfied I was all there.

‘Whatever happens, I’ll find you at the end.  Just remember not to die on me; I spent way too long looking after you for that to happen’.

I was still confused what he was going on about, we weren’t about to be some superficial sacrifice to the hunters were we?

The moment I saw another foreign wolf dash from the trees, Mitch took hold of him immediately as the hunters come to follow.

A whole army was coming down hard on us but it appeared we were not alone, numerous howls sounding behind me as I turned to look, my jaw almost dropping at the sight of him.

Leading his large pack of wolves, Trevor looked his cocky self, the large rifle slung over his shoulder.

He walked with that same confidence he could not be harmed, wolves now running past me to take on the hunters.

Yelling over the commotion of the fighting, I was mesmerised by how he was doing this, this wolf had come to protect me, the object he wanted to destroy.

‘You’re about to witness the end to this ridiculous chase Sonya; I suggest you move away before I mistake you for one of theirs’.

Ducking out of the way, Trevor was quick to take aim, my ears hearing a low grunt from the hunters’ side.

The bullet flew past my head; the way it spun making me think it was some sort of flash weapon that it had come from and not the old rifle.

Feeling as teeth began snapping close to my face, I turned and tried to throw over the wolf that had come from nowhere to attack me.

I noted how his eyes were bloodshot looking like there was some sort of drug making him so aggressive.

Taking another running jump at me, the wolf was seriously quick with his actions, claws connecting with my back as I tried to buck him off.

Another bang resounded in the air, the claws immediately releasing me as I turned to see the wolf that was attacking me only moments ago now lying on the ground with a bullet in his head.

I heard the footsteps approaching and refusing to be taken by surprise again, I was shocked to see Trevor now standing right behind me.

‘I thought you were a hunter; if you’re not going to help I’d get out while you can’.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to help and in the moment of distraction I had provided a wolf had managed to dive for Trevor, now tearing part of his shirt.

Thinking quick, I climbed on top, my teeth sinking into the wolf’s neck easily as he was distracted.

Hearing the whine before the wolf fell limply to the ground, I got out of the way as Trevor pushed the carcass off him.

I hadn’t even thought of what I had done, I had managed to kill one of the wolves so easily.

Told you you could do it

Maybe she was right; maybe all I needed was to think quickly in the situation.

Not even blinking before I launched myself towards another wolf, the bullets began flying past me, the hunter now seeing me as a threat.