Chapter 8, Werewolf or Hunter [Mitch's POV]

Chapter 8

[Mitch’s POV]

I could sense the tension in the house despite Mario seeming easy going about the situation, he was clearly worrying.

The she wolf had been quiet the whole afternoon, not making the slightest noise since arriving.

After dinner I had set aside a plate of the casserole I had made for Mario and I, debating whether or not I should confront the wolf considering she hadn’t eaten since Mario snuck her fries.

The she wolf had not attacked anyone yet but hunters were clever, so I figured she was waiting for her perfect opportunity; whether that would be now, I was not sure.

Without even realising I had been pacing around the room, I grabbed the plate off the counter hoping the wolf wouldn’t try to attack me in the process as I noticed Mario now giving me a serious look.

I could always fight back; after all, the wolf was still weak from the trip…….

‘If anything happens just yell, I’ll grab a gun or something…….’

Mario’s assurance definitely didn’t calm my unsettled stomach; my own wolf was pressuring me though, he already knew the she wolf saw us as a coward.

This wolf was a person inside just like us and locking her up surely wasn’t helping her internal battle with what was right and wrong.

If Dad was right maybe she would be able to shift back so we could communicate with her.  I knew the hunters usually didn’t teach nor encourage wolves to shift that they held captive so I wondered if she knew how.

Deciding to finally confront the wolf, I pushed open the door to the basement, now treading down the stairs slowly with the plate in hand.

Obviously smelling the food, the wolf became alert quickly; slowly climbing to her feet from that blanket I had come to realise she seemed to guard.

Her stance was already rigid as her eyes roamed my body, looking for any threat; the cool and calculating eyes reminding me she was wary of us.

Walking over to the cell, I paused holding the plate in front of me and considering my next move. 

Sucking in a deep breath, I looked the wolf in the eye unable to see any part of the human hidden beneath; the mere thought making me concerned.

Watching her closely, small hairs began to creep up from her skin, the fur rigid like the wolf itself.

I knew she could sense my hesitation but if we were going to form a truce, I needed to suck it up and hold my ground like my father wanted.

Curling my fingers around the cell door as I unlatched the lock, I hesitated for a second time, waiting for the wolf to attack but she simply stood there in front the blanket, her head tilted towards me curiously now.

The draw of the food must have her attention…..

Pulling the door slowly to gauge a reaction, I soon realised the wolf was solely eyeing off the food in my hand, obviously wanting the meal she was about to get.  I must have passed the silent test, her body still tense but not as guarded as I expected.

Leaning down as I placed the plate just inside the door, I pulled it closed once more and latched the lock, now beginning to walk away as I felt her eyes staring at my back.

I didn’t dare stop until I was a reasonable distance away, my body only halting once I knew I was safe.

Reaching the stairs, I didn’t dare look back until I heard the satisfying sound of her beginning to eat what I’d brought, my eyes now looking back to her as she looked up and let out a low growl.