Chapter 28, The Puzzle Piece

Chapter 28

Strange was not the right word to describe how I felt lying in Mitch's arms. He had me pressed up against his chest as I continued to play with the water with my feet.

My back fit perfectly against his chest, the arms that did not belong to me but yet sat on my lap keeping my attention.

'I was hoping you would come back with me once this was all over, I know you want to find Chris but he could be days ahead of us and I don't even think our hunter knows where to find him'.

I had been avoiding the truth; I still refused to admit that we were taking longer to find him than we should have.

We were yet to come across any trace of a scent which concerned me.

Mitch's fingers began to rub where I had been stabbed a day or so ago, the pressure hardly bothering me.

'Does it hurt still'?

Shaking my head, pain was something I was used to. I didn't need the fancy treatment the humans did, wolves healed much faster.

'Hardly, it was only a flesh wound, your rifle done more damage'.

The muscles beneath me tensed, hands now wrapping around me as I realised I was trapped.

He will not harm us and you know it

Resting his head on my shoulder, his quiet breathing fanned across my neck.

'You have no idea how sorry I am for what I did to you. It's like the word our relationship is based around is 'sorry'; I think I've said it more times to you than I have to anyone'.

Mitch was missing something important, although I felt somewhere I had similar feelings for him, part of me still called out for Chris.

Chris was not exactly like a father but he had earned my trust and respect long ago and I knew once I found him I would not want to part from him again willing.

'You're forgetting something Mitch. What happens when we find Chris, I'm not leaving him alone, he could be hunted himself for leaving the hunters'?

I was sure Mitch let out a small whine in response, he clearly did not like the direction this conversation was headed.

'What is he to you? You never answered my question before, am I too late in saying that I want to be with you'?

I couldn't help but chuckle. Mitch was being an overly jealous wolf, that was the problem he seemed to torn with.

He didn't appreciate my humour after his serious question either, letting go of me, the overly moody wolf was at his feet and about to walk away as I stood up to follow.

'You know it's not like that Mitch. He's my family, I swear I've told you that before, Chris raised me from a child, that's all he is'.

His fingers brushed through his hair a few times, the frustration evident in his features, maybe there was something else bothering him.

'Like I've said before, I will help you find him then but for now come back with me to the campsite and rest; if you slept anything like I did at that prison you'd be begging for a solid night of rest'.

Following Mitch as he walked back, I knew he'd expect me to follow so I didn't argue.

Watching as he crawled into his tent, I now noted how only two tents were purposely bought and setup, my mind completely missing this little fact at the store.

I would be having words with Brad in the morning about his methods.

Mitch was very eager patting the spot next to him, my body hesitating, I was new to whatever this was and I didn't fully understand what Mitch wanted.