Chapter 15, Lost and Found [Mitch's POV]

Chapter 15

[Mitch’s POV]

Standing in the chocolate shop whilst Mario picked out something to give to his girlfriend to ask for her forgiveness as he put it; I rubbed at my temples constantly, the anger from earlier beginning to die down.

Sonya had killed the last of my family that I actually got along with; yes I still had my father and cousin but Rachael and I had been close.

How that she wolf remembered her name bothered me even more as it meant Rachael was the target and not just some wolf that was in the way.

I knew how the hunters worked; they were given a name and tracked that wolf and killed them or if they were lucky they’d find a pack and take it down.

Sonya wasn’t even sorry that she had killed my sister, the moment I worked it out she took off and she knew I would not be happy but the bitch still pushed and asked the question.

Staring at the same box of chocolate I had been since we got here, I felt a hand on my shoulder and instantly knew it was Mario.

‘Come on cuz, I got what I need, let’s get out of here before that chocolate runs away in fear from the way you’re glaring at it’.

Unable to hide my small hint of amusement at my cousin’s words, I accompanied him back to the car; my mind now wandering back to whether Sonya would be home when we returned.

The people here walked about the street like nothing happened, their busy nature putting me at ease as I realised these people didn’t even know what they had.

Watching at Mario put his car into drive; we left the chocolate shop behind quickly; the streets passing by until I noticed we had come to an unexpected stop when I knew there was no intersection in front of us.

Trying to look ahead, it seemed the cars were banked up like there had been an accident, the people crowding around here like they were afraid.

‘Someone must have crashed; maybe we should have a look Mitch’?

Nodding in agreement with Mario, I slowly climbed out of the car; my eyes already able to look further ahead with the added height.

Already I could see a few people standing around, a woman standing in the middle of them; her head in hands like she had just committed murder.

Mario looked at me just as perplexed as I felt, what on earth had happened here.

Walking up to the edge of the crowd, I continued to search for what caused the disturbance as Mario began his interrogation on some poor wolf.

‘Sorry sir, do you mind if I asked what happened here; did someone die’?

Listening in on Mario’s conversation, the man gave him a harsh glare, Mario’s words obviously touching a nerve the way he asked which is to be expected.

‘A wolf ran through here not long ago; knocked a few people down and this poor lady ran it over, I think it took off east; must have a been a new shifter’.

Of course changing for the first time was always daunting but a sinking feeling in my stomach told me this wasn’t just any shifter that caused this chaos and that if I walked over to inspect the front of the car, I would be greeted with a very familiar she wolf scent.

My eyes meeting Mario’s briefly, it seemed he had the same guess as I did.

‘Could you describe what the wolf looked like’?

The man proceeded to describe the flashy grey coat mixed with a hint of gold colour as I put a hand to my head, already realising my mistake and that our hunter friend was now on the run through town.