Chapter 7, Road Tripping

Chapter 7

It must have been only hours into the trip that I was already feeling the effects of having eaten nothing since the few days ago I had arrived in that cell.

My stomach was growling with a furious need and it didn’t help that the back of this truck wasn’t exactly warm.

I could feel the bullet wound on my side still giving me trouble as it itched every now and I couldn’t even bend around to scratch it.

The breeze from the outside world was slowly seeping under the tarp each time the wind would pick up.

I felt the need to get out and run more than ever, my body clock reminding me it was only the early hours of the morning.

The road we had travelled on seemed smooth at least; I was not used to vehicles floating so carelessly along what I assumed was a highway, having been used to the off road tracking we did in the Jeep.

The truck also felt as if it was moving very quickly, each sharp jerk sending me into the cold sides of the cage as I growled in return, knowing the truck was merely an object and couldn’t talk back.

I knew I needed to try and sleep and regain some strength back; laying on a cold metal floor and surrounded by cold metal, the task was not an easy one though as my head sank down onto the cold floor.

Shutting my eyes, I tried to close them but they would only jolt open once more each time I felt the vehicle change its course. 

It wasn’t until I felt the truck come to a screeching halt, with me sliding along the floor until my head was pressed against the cage; the squealing of tyres under me making me panic and think we were about to crash.

Beginning to bark and beg someone to let me out before these crazy idiots killed me, I was surprised when we stopped and I could hear the front doors opening and voices coming closer.

‘You idiot!  What the hell is wrong with you, if you were so tired you should have let me take over’!

In a series of what sounded like shoving and punching, the two men continued to yell at each other with no other noise sounding close to this area.

This was the reason wolves were inferior to humans; they let their anger and fear control them.

‘Hey don’t blame me; you’re the one that wouldn’t stop for food!  You know I get groggy when I’m hungry’!

Staying quiet as I felt someone stop next to the truck; the tarp was quickly pulled off to reveal a very ticked off looking Mitch, his eyes softened at seeing me practically squashed against the front of the cage.

‘I wish Trevor had given us a bigger cage, she barely fits in there’.

I could hear Mario burst out laughing, his eyes obviously only now landing on me.

‘Serves her right for trying to kill me’.

Mario then decided he’d be the first target, his arm now resting on the top of the cage as his yes watched me closely, that playful smile still sitting on his face; ‘shouldn’t have become a hunter and this wouldn’t have happened’.

Growling at Mario as he walked away; the sky was still dark and I could only just make out the top of a building not far from us.

The wolves were still the enemy.

‘Maybe we should feed her’?

Only fools would keep the enemy strong but what was I to complain.

Perking up, I pretended to be watching anything that passed by when really I was keen on hearing what Mitch’s reply would be.

‘Yeah and while we’re at it, why don’t we let out her out for a walk….. Seriously Mario, she’s a hunter I doubt food is what she is thinking about right now’!