Chapter 18, Last Night with Wolves

Chapter 18

Turning as I pulled my hands up to defend myself, Earl began to deliver his punches, the low growl in my chest only making him angrier.

Kill him

My wolf couldn’t be more right, but I knew Mitch would not be happy if I were to kill one of his close friends so I gave the guy a chance.

‘I suggest you get off me before you find yourself on the ground Earl’.

Seeing Earl’s eyes flash the colour of his wolf, I lost it in that moment, as a fist landed in my shoulder, the clothes I wearing were shredded as I shifted, my legs kicking out as Earl flew off me.

Climbing to my feet, Earl went to follow as Mitch stormed in, blood dripping from his nose.

‘Earl, stop this right now’!

Going to stand behind Mitch, my wolf wanted to kill Earl, I had lost my trust when he made the first move.

‘You can’t hurt her, Sonya’s here to help us, she’s on our side’.

Hearing Mitch’s words, Earl seemed to calm down a little bit but I could still see the fire in his eyes.

‘Why are you helping a hunter Mitch?  How did you even get on friendly terms with one in the first place’?

The distrust was clear in the air; I could see Earl felt betrayed from the way he held himself against the wall.

‘Let us sit back down and finish dinner and I can explain everything, she’s not like the others, you have to trust me’.

The silence that followed was as tense as when we had first got here.  I could see Cindy in the kitchen seeming much calmer than her husband as she walked out and tried to take his hand.

Her soft voice was only just audible to my ears.

‘Please honey, let Mitch explain, please’.

It looked as if we had finally come to a stale mate, my eyes watching Earl as he strode back into the kitchen, leaving me with Mitch.

Mitch didn’t bother to acknowledge me, following the others into the kitchen whilst I trailed behind slowly as a wolf; I couldn’t bring myself to think that it was safe to shift yet.

Stopping at the entrance, I sat down watching the other wolves talk once more.

Earl was rubbing his temples slowly, obviously trying to fight his urge to rip me apart as Mitch gestured for me to come eat, my shaking of my head telling him I was definitely finished.

‘Mitch, why did you bring a hunter here’?

Hearing the loud exhale from Earl, the storm had passed for now but I figured this would happen each and every time I was near another new wolf.

‘Remember earlier how I told you Dad caught one of the hunters’?

I could see Earl couldn’t work it out, his face scrunching up in confusion as he pushed Mitch to continue.

‘Don’t beat around the bush; did she kill it or something’?

The silence passed until Cindy made a gasping noise, her husband not being far behind as he worked it out.

‘She’s the hunter!  But she’s here’!

Mitch nodded in agreement; apparently he was going to tell them more.

‘Dad brought her to me a couple of weeks ago and she’s stayed with me since’.

I noticed the look of what I thought was appreciation pass around the table, the emotion confusing me as I sat waiting.