Chapter 25, Something New

Chapter 25

Hearing Simon whimper, my eyes began to glaze over at the sight of the blood pooling around his shoulder. 

Looking back to Derek, I let out a throaty growl, the threat only making his smirk widen.

‘My, my Sonya; that’s quite a mouthful coming from you ain’t it?  Unfortunately you’ve just crossed the line so I’m going to have to put you down’.

Throwing another shell down the barrel, I knew that getting ait by a shotgun would hurt more than I could imagine, my back legs taking my weight as I prepared to jump at Derek.

Seeing his finger twitch near the trigger, before I could close the distance, Mitch had jumped up and snatched the gun from his hand; his teeth now snapping dangerously close to Derek’s face as they both fell to the ground.

Watching the two wrestle, I could see from the way Derek fought, this had not been his first wolf attack, my feet remaining plastered to the ground as I heard a moan from the wolf currently lying in a pool of his own blood.

Taking a small step over to Simon, his eyes were shut tight with pain, the pellets from the shell obviously hitting in more places in one.

The snapping in front of me easily drew my attention back, Mitch’s body flying past me as he slumped against the wall.

Now meeting Derek’s stare once more, he slowly rose to his feet, his arms now bleeding heavily from the damage Mitch had done.

‘I guess it’s just us now Sonya; I never liked you anyways’.

 Standing still in shock, I watched his finger slowly reach for the trigger, eyes daring each other to make the first move.

The room fell silent around us as I zoned in on the gun, my wolf now backing me up, no fear in her tone.

He won’t do it

I felt my eyes change for a brief second, the iris of the human catching Derek’s attention as the quick look of surprise washed across his features before disappearing.

Whether he’d seen the footage of us shifting or had just come to help after hearing the madness I’d unleashed I could tell he had not expected the human reflection in my eyes, a slight shake now causing the barrel to wobble between his hands.

Something’s wrong

I wasn’t given the time to dwell; the loud bang behind Derek making him drop fast as I scooted out of the way, now following to see where the bullet had come from.

There stood Brad, a short rifle in his hand; the permanent frown etched onto his face at seeing what was happening.

‘We have to go now Sonya; the hunters won’t follow this way’.

Taking off at a run, Brad was down the corridor before I could stop him, the sound of Mitch now walking up to my flank alerting me.

‘Why are we still standing here; if he’s showing us the way out I don’t care who he is’!

Looking back at Simon, I couldn’t leave him here.  The way the blood began to slow made me realise there was a chance he’d still make it, a slim chance but there was still one.

‘We have to help Simon; I don’t want him to die…..’

Grunting in response, Mitch dashed ahead to follow Brad without even giving Simon a second thought.

Lowering my nuzzle to rub against his, Simon only moved briefly, his eyes opening the slightest to look up at me.

 ‘Go with them; I was going to die here anyways’.