6l Sooner Than Later

Hadassah bit down on her lower lip to keep the frustrated groan that was dangerously close to escaping her mouth, trapped.

Her hands clasped around each other and her eyes continued to grow in size as they beheld the firmly shut door before them.

Like he had done earlier that morning, Daniel had once again slammed the door in Hadassah's face, after forcing her to tell a falsehood on his behalf in the presence of his female guest.

Turning from the door, she released a deep breath and began making her way through the dimly lit hallway, frustrated. Surely she was being punished! What greater punishment could supersede the punishment of being the valet of Lord Daniel Talbot? Serving him almost seemed worse than living with her uncle; at least her uncle was actively ignoring her! Daniel on the other hand, was determined to ruin her life. How was she going to serve a master who didn't want her service?! If she didn't get the opportunity to serve him, surely she would be kicked out of the estate and perhaps even forced to journey back to Sheffield.

She knew then, as she made her way down the stairs and to her room, that she desperately needed to make Daniel recognize her worth, if only to buy time to find a man willing to marry her and journey back to Sheffield to claim what was rightfully hers.

“Well?” The voice beside her was enough to pull her out of her reverie.

Turning sharply, she found Jane standing beside her, big brown eyes filled with questions.

Jane was one of the few young women Berta had introduced to her. As for the young men, Hadassah had lost count for Berta made it a priority to have Hadassah introduced to nearly all the men in the town. Perhaps not all, but quite a handful; every man that attended the chapel every Sunday, most of whom belonged to the lowest or middle class.

“Is he?” Jane continued, oblivious to Hadassah's lack of interest in the conversation as they stood outside chapel, waiting for Berta to show up.

“I hear he is quite arrogant, but mostly handsome. You mustn't hide this truth from me, Dasa.”

Hadassah remembered then who Jane spoke about for she only knew one arrogant man in Birmingham. As for the part about being handsome, she was yet to come to a conclusion.

“Well, will you convince him to come along to the chapel next week? I must meet with him...”

“Perhaps.” Hadassah let out a tired sigh, turning back to search the environs for signs of Berta. She was simply worn having to listen to Jane's numerous, unending inquisitions and she was especially irritated by the girl's interest in Daniel. She knew Jane's interest laid in her desire to climb the social ladder by some how getting herself married to Daniel Talbot. It only made sense that way, or else, why would a woman be interested in marrying a man she knew nothing about?

Hadassah herself knew nothing about Lord Talbot, nothing but his frown and his back; both of which he had neglected to withhold from her. If he wasn't beholding her with a frown, he was walking away from her and slamming a door in her face.

Yet, Jane's questions were not far fetched. It was expected that a valet would know something, anything about her master. It would be disgraceful to admit to not knowing anything.

Just then, Berta appeared out of the chapel, hand clinging to the crook of an unfamiliar man.

Hadassah watched as they approached, mainly focusing on the gentleman's lanky form. He towered over Berta, long legs and broad shoulders with striking blond hair making his presence quite difficult to ignore.

The image of her standing beside the giant with broad shoulders, dressed in a wedding gown, crossed her mind and tears immediately sprang to her eyes.