30l Drowning

Hadassah's breathing ceased at Julius' announcement. She was so shocked, she stood frozen as he crossed the room and came to a halt before her. She suddenly saw the evil behind his handsome features.

“You will concede to this marriage, Hadassah, or I will finish what I started twelve years ago; I will kill Daniel.” She felt the color drain from her face as he placed his hand against her cheek. “You will tell the Reverend you lied about being married and we will take off from where it was we stopped, tomorrow.”

It was a few seconds before Hadassah regained her ability to breathe again and a few more seconds before she remembered her letters to Daniel and hope was springing up in her heart, replacing fear.

Straightening, she lifted her chin up. “Again, Lord Talbot, you are incapable of forcing or threatening me into a marriage. Daniel will come for me. It is only a matter of time before you are made to pay for your cruelty to your own brother!”

“Do enlighten me, Hadassah, how shall Daniel find you?” He searched her eyes and she fought the desire to tell him about the letters. While she knew he was powerless to stop them for they most likely had been delivered to Daniel, a part of her feared he was more evil than she initially assumed.

They stood in silence for several seconds, Julius' eyes never leaving hers. He searched her eyes, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. Hadassah stood with squared shoulders, matching his stance. She wouldn't let him win, she was determined not to let him win. He had already taken everything away from her and Daniel, she was determined to fight for what was left.

“Do you speak of those silly letters you had written to my brother?”

His words were powerful enough to stop Hadassah's heartbeat. Horrified, her knees trembled, threatening to give up on supporting her entire body weight.

“Ah, then you do speak of the letters.” He clucked his tongue, his face cracking into a brighter smile. “I will have you know that they have been burnt. Although, your uncle would have you believe they have been delivered in order to torture you further. Do thank me for being gracious enough to tell you the truth, my love. ”

“I will never marry you.” She heard her terrified whimper. It was a desperate attempt at a lost cause. Her defiance was useless, she knew.

Breathing was difficult and her entire body seemed about ready to crumble to the floor in a pile of grief. Still, she fought to stay standing. She would never crumble before this monster, she would never fall to her knees at his feet and have him subdue her to his will.

“But you will, Hadassah, you will.” His hand settled on her neck, sliding to her chin and finally settling on her face. “You will.”

A soft sob escaped her lips as he leaned down and captured her lips. She tried to shove him aside, but her limbs felt weak. His kiss was slow, yet forceful. Her lungs were constricted and her nostrils seemed incapable of taking in oxygen. Her knees weakened further, causing her to lean into him to keep from falling to the floor. But even as she fought to remain standing, she found the lack of oxygen to be having some kind of effect on her vision for in only a matter of a second, she was being engulfed by darkness.

✴✴✴

Julius felt Hadassah's lips slacken and her limp body fall against him. Yet, he didn't stop kissing her for he found it impossible to do so. He instead wrapped his arms around her limp form to keep it from crumbling to the ground and pulled her further against himself.

Perhaps if he had her...

A groan emanated from his throat, the very thought of possessing her body sending a sharp wave of heat down his spine. He couldn't wait, he decided, carrying her limp form in his arms. He couldn't wait until tomorrow to have her, he would have her right now.