23l Find

The very atmosphere of the drawing room was thick with brewing anger, most of which emanated from the middle aged stranger with brown locks, extravagant clothing and a frown that seemed to deepen with every passing second; Lord Hadley.

Lord Hadley had traveled all the way from Sheffield to the Talbot's estate, not to engage in tea -as his mother must have failed to realize when she had a maid bring in the refreshments- but to carryout his threat to the Earl; to file a lawsuit for the kidnaping of his niece.

Julius tore his eyes off of Lord Hadley long enough to steal a glance at his mother who looked nothing like a woman whose only beloved son -for her actions so far proved beyond doubt that she loved Daniel alone- had gone missing, nearly vanishing into thin air. Julius found it suspicious how his mother could sit sipping on tea and listening to a conversation that had only managed to remain civil because it involved two respected men of society, without blinking a eyelash.

Three months! Three entire months and nobody could claim to have seen Daniel or Lady Hadley. Not only did Julius know without a doubt that the two were together, he guessed his mother had something to do with their escape. His mother would after all, do anything to protect Daniel. She would risk the family's reputation, risk the wrath of the courts and the very foundations of their lives to protect Daniel. Hadn't it always been the same in the past? Hadn't she always been on Daniel's side, neglecting to remember the existence of her second son?

Earl Talbot had sought to invite Lord Hadley over to the estate to discuss the matter at hand but from the little Julius had listened to, the invitation had only helped to widen the gap between the two families with Earl Talbot swearing to high heaven that he had nothing to do with Lady Hadley's disappearance and Lord Hadley failing to believe a word he said.

“Perhaps I'll see you in court.” Lord Hadley rose to his feet, nose flaring.

“With no proof to your claims, Lord Hadley, the matter will be thrown out of court.” Lady Talbot placed her tea cup on the side table, dainty eyelashes lifting to glance up at Lord Hadley. “You will only succeed in putting doubt in the hearts of people in regards to your integrity and your motives. Perhaps you seek to blackmail us?”

Lord Hadley's lips parted, a shocked look spreading across his aging features.

“Do not look so surprised, Lord Hadley, I have heard of your dwindling fortune.”

He rose his brow. “Is that so, Lady Talbot? Am I to take it then that the Lady of the Talbot estate does nothing but peddle lies and gossips?”

His mother smiled. “I simply did my homework.”

“My fortune is all but dwindling. I have a fleet of vessels and some lands.”

“You speak of Lady Hadley, Lord Hadley, not yourself. I can hardly believe you have anything.”

“Enough of these insults!” Lord Hadley gritted his teeth. “I will see you in court, all of you!” He made to leave the room but suddenly stopped in his tracks, “and make no mistake, it will be all of you!” His eyes traveled the room one last time, before storming out.

Julius thought to speak but his father was rising to his feet and leaving the room almost immediately.

Turning to his mother, she was draining the content of her tea cup, a coy smile on her face that established Julius' suspicion.

“You know where they are, don't you?”

Lady Talbot rose a brow, seemingly confused at his question. Julius felt irritation settle in his belly at the thought of his mother's foolishness.