13l Journeying Together

Hadassah breathed in the sweet scent of freshly baked bread that clung to Berta's skin as the older woman held her in a warm embrace. She leaned her head against Berta's shoulder, fighting the urge to hold on to her for as long as was possible. She knew that with the end of their embrace would come the beginning of her journey to Sheffield.

A soft breath escaped her lips as Berta's arms weakened around her and she pulled away.

"I can only pray for the best, dear child. When all of this is over, I am sure you'll get what you truly deserve." Her eyes shone with unshed tears as she spoke, reminding Hadassah of the day she was forced to leave Leah behind nearly six months ago. She could almost picture Leah hurriedly helping her into a dress and shoving an envelop in her hands.

Frowning, she remembered the envelop. She had been so occupied with finding a husband, she had forgotten to open it. It wouldn't matter anymore, she decided, kissing Berta goodbye and allowing the footman help her into the carriage; she would see Leah again and have her explain the envelop herself. Although, she could only hope to see Leah. If her uncle had succeeded in getting rid of Leah, she most likely would never see her again.

She settled into the carriage, sucking in a soft breath as Daniel settled beside her. As promised the night before, he was journeying with her.

Glancing down at her fingers, she remembered his proposal and immediately felt heat rising up her neck.

His motive for the proposal would most likely mean nothing by evening for she would be settled in Sheffield, but she found herself taking pleasure in the memory, reliving it over and over again in her mind for several hours as the carriage traveled.

Daniel was silent beside her, his head turned to the curtained window. She knew his mind was occupied as well, she saw it in the slight fidgeting of his fingers.

Was he worried about leaving her in Sheffield? She found herself hoping he was. She hoped he would refuse to leave her behind, insisting on the marriage. She hoped that by some stroke of good luck and heavenly intervention, her uncle would turn away from his selfish decision to keep her unwed.

There was also the possibility he would leave her behind. She hated to think about it but she knew she couldn't blame him if he did. Perhaps in the end, he would return for her after she had turned eighteen. Perhaps he would marry her then. It seemed bleak, but it was all she knew to hold on to.

"You are worried." She turned to the side to find Daniel watching her. The expression of understanding on his face made her forget for a slight moment that he couldn't see her. "I can sense it, Hadassah. Of course, I would have to pay attention to notice, but the good thing about being blind is the ability to listen and feel things."

"Then you did not simply guess?" She smiled slightly, the smile easing her tension a little bit.

"No." He shook his head. "When we first started on this journey, you seemed distracted, not worried."

She opened her mouth to speak but decided against it. Speaking about her impending misfortune wouldn't ease her fears, it would only heighten it. She instead turned to the side and leaned her head against the side of carriage, drifting to sleep.

She slept for several hours and awakened after a while. Knowing they still had several miles more to travel, she tried to think of other things that didn't involve Lord Hadley. After a while of trying and failing, she fought against the tears that threatened to slip down her cheek as the carriage neared Sheffield.

Daniel took hold of her hand then, squeezing it lightly. She forced a smile to her lips even if she knew he couldn't see her, and squeezed his hand in return.