34l Finding Him

Josephine Talbot's eyes remained trained on the approaching coach but her heart was on the man who stood deathly still beside her. She could sense his rage, anger seemingly pouring out of every fiber of his being. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew a storm was brewing.

"Daniel." She breathed softly when the doors of the coach pulled open and her son emerged. She watched him stand to his full height, his presence commanding attention. His hair seemed wild and untamed and his cloth was rumpled, but he was still handsome. If he hadn't lost his sight, he would have been the most eligible bachelor in all of Birmingham.

Josephine had been surprised to hear of her son's return to the estate but what surprised her further was the emergence of Hadassah from the coach. Turning wide eyes to her husband who stood fuming beside her, she noticed the way he clenched his fist at the sight of Hadassah. Certainly, the presence of Lady Hadley in the estate, would not only confirm her husband's suspicion that Daniel had something to do with Hadassah's disappearance, it would confirm the town's suspicion that Lord Hadley's claims of kidnap held some truth.

She watched as Daniel took hold of Hadassah's hand, the young woman appearing to have lost some weight. The pair made their way up the stairs and Josephine stepped forward.

"Daniel." She threw her arms around him and planted a kiss on his cheek. His arms held loosely to her, before falling to his side. When she pulled away, she found a weary smile on his face. "You came back, and you found her." She smiled at Hadassah, her hand settling on her cheek. "Welcome, both of you."

"Thank you, Lady Talbot." Hadassah offered a weary smile as well.

Josephine wondered about their countenance but didn't voice her confusion. She instead took hold of her son's hand and turned to face the door; her husband stood in their path, nose flaring.

"You will not bring that woman into this building." He gestured to Hadassah.

"Do not speak of my wife..." Daniel began.

Stepping forward, "Wife?!" Josephine stepped forward to block her husband's path. "Get out of my way, Josephine!" He roared, frightening the servant that made to go by.

"We will not engage in a feud in public, please, Nicholas."

"Shall I pretend you do not have a hand in any of this? Do you know the damage to my reputation Lord Hadley's lawsuit brought, do you know what it took Julius to get him to withdraw his suit?! Yet, I'm supposed to trust a son who hasn't just lost his ability to see his environment, but his ability to see reason, with everything I have ever worked for?! "

Josephine felt Daniel bump into her back in a bid to reach his father. Turning around swiftly, she took hold of his clenched fist. "Please, Daniel."

"You will rid yourself of this woman, of whatever foolish marriage you have contracted or you will no longer be called my son."

Josephine tightened her hold on Daniel's hand, the words of her husband sending a ripple of fear down her spine.

"First it was my sight, Father, then my birthright and now you seek to dispossess me of my wife?!"

"Daniel..." The words died on Josephine's lips.

"I had no hand in your accident, idiot! You ruined yourself, just like you ruin everything you touch! It is the same way you have ruined Lady Hadley here, who will now be burdened with a lifetime tending to you, or a lifetime paying the price of allowing herself to be ruined by you."

Daniel's hand shook in Josephine's grip. "Do not force my hand, Father."

"What are your intentions? How will you make me suffer if I do? How do you plan to see me long enough to take a hold of me?!"

"Enough!" Josephine turned sharply to the source of the voice; Hadassah. She had nearly forgotten her presence. Shaking her head as her tears fell down her face, Hadassah took a step forward, her eyes trained on the Earl. "If it pleases my lord to send us away, then I beg your patience for two more weeks, this is the time I turn eighteen. You said it yourself, my Uncle withdrew the lawsuit. It would take a while for him to file yet another lawsuit, time he does not have. When I turn eighteen, I'll come into my father's property and we'll leave. Until then, do not be so cold hearted as to turn your own son to the streets." She breathed slowly, her eyelids snapping shut. "And do not speak of Daniel ruining me, for then you, my lord would be lying." Her eyelids snapping open, she turned around, her eyes planted on Daniel who was turned toward her direction as well even if he couldn't see her. "Perhaps my intention for coming here was to find a way to take back what I knew rightfully belonged to me," Her voice was soft as her words flowed easily out of her lips. "Perhaps my desperation pushed me into a life of servitude and eventually a marriage of convenience. Perhaps losing his sight and birthright forced him into a marriage of convenience as well. But the longer I think about it, my lord, the clearer it becomes; I didn't come here to gain what I stood the chance of losing, I came here to find what I couldn't stand to lose. It was all for finding him. He didn't ruin me, my lord, he completed me."

Josephine's grip on Daniel's hand weakened, her hand falling to her side. She watched, with tears filling her eyes as Daniel took a step forward and easily found Hadassah, before pulling her into his embrace. Her hands flew to her lips as a soft sob escaped; it was true, wasn't it? Daniel found love. His inability to see, his lack of a fortune, none of that was strong enough to stand in his path to love.

A smile now creasing her face, Josephine decided she wouldn't let her husband take love away from Daniel. She would fight, for however long and she would begin her battle right now. Turning around, she was shocked to find her husband missing, the door to the building wide open.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

A/N

This is one of those chapters in all my books where I have to make reference to the title. It's always so 'cheesy' *rolls eyes*.

Anyway, to some extent, I'm satisfied with this chapter.

Thank you for sharing this story(yes, I noticed) and for all your votes and comments, I appreciate them.