29l Fire

“It is too late to file another lawsuit, she turns eighteen in only a few weeks, we do not have the time.” Reuben's voice was barely audible even in his own ears as he threw his head back and took another swallow of vodka. He needed the alcohol to weaken him, thereby restraining him from doing something stupid.

“Surely, there is another way.” From the side of his eyes, he could see Julius Talbot pacing the length of his study... Or Hadassah's study. For whether Reuben wanted to admit to it or not, his niece had won the battle for her father's property.

In truth, she had only won what she assumed remained of her father's property and while Reuben hated to admit it, nothing remained. The very roof over their heads would in a few days, be repossessed by the banks. They would be thrown out and if Hadassah and her husband decides to take him to court, he would be thrown in jail or made to pay restitution for his crime.

Which was why he was desperate for the marriage between Hadassah and Julius to take place. It would have been a good marriage, one that would afford him a lavish lifestyle for the rest of his life and money to pay his debts. He would then come into full possession of his brother's property. It was however too late to do anything. It would take days, perhaps even weeks to get a hearing date and then, the trial would last for too long. He might win the annulment but by then, Hadassah would be old enough to remarry Daniel Talbot; there was no use for a lawsuit that would only help in draining him of what was left of his finances.

“We can find someone else to conduct the wedding, someone who can be bought.”

Signing, Reuben placed the emptied glass on the desk before him, deciding he had had enough of alcohol. It wasn't doing anything but aiding his anger and frustration and Julius Talbot's insistent chatter was grating on his nerves.

“I will send for you when I have decided on what to do.” He ignored courtesy, dismissing Julius with a wave of his hand.

He didn't listen for Julius' response or retreating footsteps. He instead placed himself on his seat and leaned his head on the desk, a soft sigh escaping his lips.

The time that passed after that seemed like nothing but a blur. When Reuben opened his eyes, something was tugging on his arm. Releasing a loud growl, he jerked his hand, shrugging off the intruder. He lifted his head up and was immediately met by what he assumed through his blurry vision, was a servant.

“Forgive me, my lord.” Her solemn voice confirmed his suspicions; she was a servant.

He glared at her, his face crumbling into a frown. “How dare you approach me without waiting to be summoned?”

She stepped back then, perhaps afraid he might hit her. Glad his servants were wise enough to fear him, he fought the urge to smile.

“F-f-forgive me. I... Well... I... I simply thought it important to make a report, my lord.”

“Why would I be interested in what it is you have to say?” He watched her closely, his vision much clearer. She was young and perhaps new in the estate, he didn't know for he didn't care anything for the people who worked for him. He was however nearly certain she was new for her face seemed unfamiliar.

“My lady... My lady sent me on an errand this morning. She wanted me to have two letters delivered. At first, my lord, I assumed it to be nothing but my lady being difficult as has been the case since my employment...” She glanced down, her hands clasped before her. Realizing who she spoke about, Reuben did his very best not to frighten her into silence.

“Go on,” He smiled and she glanced up to look at him. His smile broadened in an attempt to encourage her confession.

“My lady has failed to get married to Lord Talbot, my lord. Now, I understand that perhaps I was right to keep the letters, to wait until, well... I wanted you to have a look at them first..” Sighing softly, she pulled out two envelops from her apron pocket. Reuben felt his eyelids double in size as he took possession of the envelopes and tore one open, his eyes immediately coming to settle on Daniel's name. “Perhaps I have done wrong by this, my lord, perhaps I have been...”