33

*Consider yourself warned*

Day 26 - 8:54 pm

December 29th, and Cole only had a few days left to take Charlotte's virginity, and the clock seemed to be ticking by faster than usual. This bet was eating him alive piece by piece every time the second hand went around the clock, just bringing him one minute closer to ruining her life.

This heavy rain cloud sat over his head, and the amount of water it had condensed over the past twenty-six days was becoming too much to hold in. He knew that this storm cloud brewing would eventually downpour, soaking him in the pain and regret after he turned over the tape. But, what else was he supposed to do? If he lost the bet, he would be in some serious debt.

Maybe he was stupid for taking this bet, and maybe he was selfish for still wanting to go through with it, but he felt as if he had no other choice. He knew that he couldn't flee, Ian would hunt him down like the demon he truly was to make Cole's life a living hell.

The only times he truly regretted his own actions was when he looked down at the little fawn who would have to suffer the aftermath. Charlotte was too pure, too innocent for his filthy hands to touch in such delicate ways. Sure, she'd done him a favor or two, and he had done some in return, but sex had never been an option to put on the table. He didn't even know if she would give herself to him, and he only had a few days left.

With his back pressed against the grass, he let his eyes wander up towards the pitch black sky that was speckled with millions of stars shimmering from above. There was a quiet tranquil to this peaceful night, minus the annoying sounds of the crickets chirping from somewhere within the vicinity.

His head was rested against both of his opened hands, and he laid there as still as a statue as the minutes ticked by. Cole never uttered a word as he studied the vast light show that the sky was putting on. No clouds to cover the magnificent lights, just an open sky and a heavy heart.

Shuffling could be heard from next to him, and his gaze moved back over towards the young lady moving next to him. She was shifting herself into an upright position as she brought her knees to her chest. Charlotte's chocolate colored hair flowed with the wind, and even from within the darkness, he could still see the light from within her blue irises.

She was wearing a pair of midnight black leggings with a beige button up, long sleeved shirt. Even if it was just a simple outfit, Cole found her radiating with beauty no matter what outfit she wore. Her skinny arms wrapped around her knees, as if to pull them even closer to her chest.

"It may be dark, but I can still see you staring." Charlotte chuckled as she tucked a messy strand of hair behind her pierced ear. If she had said that to him weeks ago, his cheeks would have turned red in embarrassment just at the idea of finding her attractive. Now, he wasn't even ashamed of it.

"It's no secret." He rolled his eyes as he lifted himself up into a sitting position next to her. "I was staring at the most beautiful sight out here." He offered her a small smile as he snaked an arm around her waist.

"Don't be too cheesy." She snickered as she leaned into him, resting her head carefully against his shoulder.

"I'm not being cheesy, I'm being serious." Cole playfully huffed as he pulled her in closer. In all honesty, he was telling her the truth. If the room was dark, then she was always the only light that seemed to draw him in. Whenever things were rough, she'd swoop in and help him feel better. Not only had she helped him become a stronger person, but a better person.

Yet, ironically, he was the worst person for her to be with.

A small frown crept on his plumped lips as he thought about that for a moment. What would her life had been like if she had not met him twenty-six days ago? Who would she have talked to, if anyone, for the past month as a lover? Maybe she would have found someone who loved and cared about her as much as he did, but would not end up leaving her in broken pieces in the end.