The Way to Earn Someone's Trust is By Kidnapping Them

Chapter 4

Freya

I made it to work. Dropping me off on the sidewalk, I waved goodbye to my Mom and walked into the white futuristic flat building. My floor was in the basement. Did I miss sunlight? Yes. But at least the team I work with is sociable.

I walked into the office to find no one was there. Our office space was all open thanks to Kelly, who believes in an oligarchy system, which I appreciated. Everyone got to feel important and everyone was heard. The workspace reflected that. There were three long tables that were pushed against the wall with all our computer equipment at our spaces. The center had a communal computer and comfy lounge for our group projects.

I went to my corner and turned on my laptop. Since I had no work to do, I ended up on YouTube, just wasting time.

I thought back to what happened with Anson and Roman.

I'll be back for you. Just as soon as I finish with him.

What does that mean? He wasn't going to hurt Anson. Right? Why didn't Damon say there are more of us?

I heard Kelly's voice coming down the hallway. She was a triple threat; smart, beautiful and so very accomplished. At only twenty-five she was in charge of cyber security for the St. Louis branch something only the most seasoned employees even have the opportunity to get, "....and this is our programmers' stations. Oh Freya, come say hello to Deccan. You're going to be updating his security software."

I turned to introduce myself, standing I offered my hand to the man standing next to Kelly. He was .... different. If I had to use one word to describe him it would be depressing. Black parted hair, coal black eyes with dark circles under them with pale white skin.

"Hi Deccan, I'm Freya. Let me know if you have any questions about-" just then Kelly fainted landing with a sick thud on the ground. I rushed to her kneeling down I padded her face, "Kelly! Kelly, wake up. Call 911!"

"Interesting," Deccan said standing over my shoulder. He extended a finger touching my forehead. I slammed it away, "What is wrong with you? She needs help."

"You're not affected by my spores. She'll be fine." He grabbed me by my hair pulling me to my feet. I could see stars he yanked me so hard, "You're the one everyone's looking for. The unmarked Gifted."

I kicked and pushed Deccan with no luck. I tried to call on my fire ability, but nothing came out.

"Now, now you should play nice," he held up his hand to show his fingernails growing into sharp talons, "or I'll have to show you how the game is really played. Don't even try to use your water element. My spores won't like it." He ran one of his sickeningly long nails down my throat drawing blood. It burned like poison in my veins.

"Sshh, it will be over soon," my vision was failing, and I couldn't fight back. My breathing slowed down, and the world went black.

Help me. Please, help.

I was floating in complete darkness.

Help.

"Son of a bitch!"

"Calm down. We will find her."

Milo? That was Milo's voice.

"I knew we should have taken her when we had the chance. Who knows what The Order will do?"

Damon.

I can hear them, but no one was here.

"Yes, because the way to earn someone's trust is by kidnapping them. Brilliant, as always."