Summer Formal

Chapter 48

Damon

Not a goddamn thing.

A few days had passed since the bath, and I knew I was driving Bash insane. Bash even convinced Lucas and Callan to help but, we couldn't find anything. Olivia and Charles didn't exist. No birth certificates, no property owned, no children, no death certificate. They just don't exist in any form. I was to the point where I wanted to burn the gray stone library down. Dust collected everywhere as far as the eye could see, spider webs wove loosely around books, dirtied shelves, and stands. Busted lamps hung from weathers, braided wires that were embedded into to cracked ceiling. The ground was littered with dirt, glass, books, and torn pages. The crevices in the wall allowed small amounts lights to filter inside along with thin ropes of ivy. Dust floated lazily, and every step put more of it into the air.

"It shouldn't be this hard, we knew they were in Alabama, in a small town, somewhere in the 60's-"

"And The Sound of Music was playing in theaters. You said you saw Freya there, so why aren't we asking for her help? She could have seen something to help us narrow this down a little bit more." Callan said munching on some Doritos.

Freya was spending more time with Anson. These past few days they've been inseparable. I would be lying to myself if I wasn't jealous of the attention she was giving him. I still didn't have a good feeling about Anson, but he did say he would help us. And as much as I didn't want to believe him, I had to. Maybe, this was her way of keeping him close? Or the beginning of something terribly bad?

"I think we need a break," Bash said exhausted.

"Yes, please." Lucas said looking to the clock. What was he in a hurry for?

"Llluuucccaaaassss!" Freya's voice echoed down the winding stone stairs. Was she wearing heels? As soon as she came into eyesight my breath caught.

"Wow..." I literally had no words for how she looked. Beautiful wasn't enough. Her hair was loosely curled hanging long down her back. Her dark brown makeup made her look even more exotic than normal. And as I stared at her ruby lips, I imagine all the things I wanted to do to them. She wore black and silver wrap maxi dress with sparkling silver threading dancing over black knit. Its shaped spaghetti straps and wrapping triangle bodice with tying sash belt was perfect on her. There was a long slit upper leg that would take nothing to just push aside and-

Gods. What was I, ten? It felt that way.

"Dude! You're not even dressed!" She said walking straight up to Lucas.

"All I need is ten minutes. Plus, we can get there late," Lucas said standing up from the old wooden desk, he stretched and ran past her up the stairs.

"Going somewhere?" I said crossing the room to her. With Lucas, of all people?

"Yeah, there is a dance at Haven and Lucas asked me to go," she was actually excited to go. Like a date? Were they dating?

Her happiness flowed through me, warming my skin like the rays of an early summer sun. She had an inner happiness, one utterly independent of the outside world. She smiled like it burst from within instead of being worn like an obligation in the way others did.

"The summer formal?" Callan asked as he started to put away the book's we had scattered all over the place.

"Yup. What have you guys been up to?" She said surveying our mess.

"Damon had a vision from the Gods. We're trying to decipher it. In fact...." Bash speed walked over to us, "You were there." Bash explained the situation as best as possible.