Chapter Three: Pretty Woman

"Monika I'm home!" I called out.

My meeting was shorter than I thought. Drew wasn't home so I just dropped the file in his mailbox. Hopefully he gets it in time.

"Monika?" I called out again.

There was no response. I searched my living room, dining room, kitchen, and everywhere else for her.

I peeked in my bedroom and there she was. It looked like she didn't even moved since I left. She just sat there, staring at the ground.

"Monika?" I said

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you come in." She said.

She walked over to me while moving tears from her eyes.

"Hey wait, what's going on? What's the matter?" I said.

"It's nothing...it's just...am I a monster?" She said.

"Monika I understand why you did what you did." I said.

"I killed my friends...or what I thought were my friends. Why do I all of the sudden feel bad about it now?"

"You did what you had to do to survive. Though I will admit it wasn't the best way of doing so, you still made it out."

Monika wrapped her arms around me, so I did the same.

"I just want my friends back..." She said in a faint voice.

"Then I'll do it." I said.

"What?" She said in a confused voice.

"Monika, I promise you that one way or another, I will get you your friends back."

She hugged me tighter.

"Thank you..." She said

"It's the least I could do." I said

I grabbed a tissue for Monika so she could wipe her eyes with it.

"Now come on, we have some shopping to do." I said.

I grabbed Monika by the hand and we drove to a nearby mall. It was called East Gate Mall, and I gotta tell ya, this mall was huge.

"Let's go into this store!" Monika said while pointing at a sign. The sign read "Burlington Coat Factory". It was filled with mostly random clothes. Monika spent about an hour and a half picking out a variety of clothes. I wasn't going to stop her though, I wanted her to have her fun.

I wish I did though, because the overall bill was about $300. It's okay though, I wanted her to have nice things.

After all the shopping we sat down at a food court in the mall.

"This place is really huge." She said.

"Yeah, really easy to get lost too. I once walked around here with my mom, and I haven't seen her since." I said in a joking manner.

Monika laughed with me but then she looked at me with a straight face.

"When will I get to meet your family anyway?" She asked.

That question took me off guard. I guess I had to tell her the truth.

"I don't really have a family." I said.

"Wait... what?" She asked.

"I was put up for adoption before I could even walk. I never knew my mom or dad. Hell I don't even know if I have siblings." I said.

Monika reached across the table and placed her hand of top of mine.

"I'll be your family then." Monika said smiling.