Chapter Eleven - Saving Snape.

I barely got any sleep. My sleep was taunted by visions of my face burning as if the tapestry at home affected not only my embroided face but my very own flesh. I woke up in hot sweats only to be greeted by the lingering taste of chocolate in my mouth, reminding me of how calm I felt with Remus. The thought of him made me drift off quickly after each repeated nightmare again and again. Relentless, confusing emotional torture between both conscious and unconscious states.

I heard birds chirping outside and I knew it was early, but acceptable enough to get up once and for all; fearing another nightmare about the horrors of home.

I tip toed my way downstairs to the common room after getting changed into my school robes and climbed up on a window ledge, my body only just being able to perch there to stare down at the school grounds.

Crows were cawing above and I saw Professor Sprout, up early, pacing around the school grounds looking for what I presumed wild herbs before class. The sky was grey and cloudy but cracks in the clouds allowed rays of sunshine and hope to gently glisten down to hit the mossy coloured grass, teasing for finally a sunny day, after a miserable rainy summer. Maybe this Autumn we'll finally say hello to the brightness of the sun.

I started to hear steps sounding from above the dorm room staircase and I knew other students had begun to get up and ready for the day. Breakfast was still an hour away but I decided to escape the Gryffindor tower early to secure a spot that I can call my own, instead of relying on the others.

I made my way down the chilly halls, the morning seeming peaceful and slow- not as rushed as I had previously experienced it. Pros to getting up earlier than everyone else I suppose.

Instead of making my way to the hall straight away, I followed the smell of frying eggs, toasted bread and sizzling bacon, mixed with the smell of herbal teas and creamy hot chocolate and the occasional whiff of cereal milk. The combinations would usually smell a bit too overwhelming together, but spread throughout the spacious corridors, the smells of breakfast reacted beautifully to the aging castle.

Stopping abruptly at the castle kitchen doors, I gave it a light knock. Not really gaining any attention from it and leaning my ear in closer to the door to hear the frantic castle elves inside, I edged open the surprisingly light (considering the size and wood of the frame) door. 

I peeked inside, a cloud of warm, bacon scented mist hit me in the face. An elf locked eyes with me.

"No students allowed in here, no!" he shook his head madly, I ignored him, forgetting he wasn't one of the elves at home and how I'd always push the rule boundaries and closed the door behind me, noticing a small table with two small chairs tucked in the corner of the kitchen. The table being used to hold a large bag of grounded pixie sugar. 

"Does anyone sit there?" I spoke loudly over the discussion of mini chefs. A couple of elves turned to face me.

"No Miss." they all said in unison. I smiled slightly, one of them still facing me whilst the others fussed over slightly burning bread.

"It wouldn't be breaking too many rules to sit here for breakfast today?" I smiled and walked over to the old looking table. The elf shook his head.

"No students allowed I'm afraid Miss." The elf returned back to his cooking duties.

I walked over to the one particular elf struggling with burning some bread. I flipped the large toaster on its side (Something the elf was probably too small to do) and they all gasped.

"Miss what are you doing?" The small elf gaped. I quickly put a small charm on the toaster.

"I've stopped it from popping the toast up, so it won't fly out when they're done" I said referring to turning the toaster on the side "Instead now it will chime like a timer to warn you when they're done prior to them burning. Sometimes toaster times aren't always reliable" I hummed, making everything tidy. I remembered the multiple smacks around the head from burnt toast smell around the house at home and how I had helped my own house elf with the same kitchen problem.