Chapter Forty- Take Care, James.

ARTY'S POV.
It was already beginning to get dark, the winter nights starting to really kick in now that it was the first of November.

As I curled up in front of the common room fire, still in my pyjamas, the door opened and a second year walked in. I had presumed everyone had left.

"Hello" I said with a small smile. They nodded awkwardly and walked up to their dorm. Alice had mentioned others stayed behind for the shorter half terms such as after Halloween. Perhaps I was just too locked up in our dorm all day to see the others who had stuck around; but the second year who didn't stop to speak.

I knew this week was going to feel incredibly lonely. The small constant sounds of living amongst a large amount of people, that I had adjusted to, was gone. The castle seemed too large for just a small selection of people to sleep soundly without paranoia kicking in.

As the hours passed by and I hadn't moved a muscle from the fire, I looked at the time and realised it was past midnight. Everyone would be off of the train and home by now presumably. Eaten dinner with their families and asleep in their own bedrooms.

My stomach grumbled, my body realising I hadn't fed it all day. Too absent to pay attention to any sign it was giving off. Needing the toilet, eating or drinking didn't seem to be important today.

I didn't have the energy (despite sleeping all day) to sneak down to the kitchens and I knew that I or the girls didn't have any food stored away in the dorm.

But the boys might have some stored somewhere.

I made my way to the boys dorms and just as I had expected, as I twisted the bronze worn door knob, the charm was still removed and I was able to enter.

I stood with my back against the inside of their door for a while, just absorbing the deserted room.

The last time being here, was telling Remus how I felt nothing for him. How stupid I was to ignore the signs much like I had ignored my appetite all day.

Suddenly I saw a letter on James' bed. My name written boldly on the envelope. I furrowed my eyebrows together. Why was a letter addressed to me on James Potter's bed?

I assessed the handwriting, not recognising it. Before carefully peeling away the seal. It read...

Art,
I knew you'd sneak into our dorm at some point. Stay out of my draws and away from that sock...if you catch my drift.

I opened his draw despite the warning and glanced at the single sock that looked like a piece of stiff material I never wanted to touch my skin, understanding straight away what it was being used for. Boys are disgusting.

I'll put my address on the back if you need someone to write to. Always here if you need me or anyone else's address.

Just a warning, Remus will know if you've been through his stuff. Be extra careful when snooping, he's a bit OCD about his things I swear! On the other hand, Peter won't notice if you want to pinch anything of his. I won't tell. He's got some good snacks under his bed in a yellow box, help yourself! Sirius is a minimalist, doesn't have anything interesting to look at I promise, I've looked. Frank literally moved into the other dorm before leaving today because of Peters snoring, I'm not kidding- that's why his draws are empty. Pathetic, remind me to bully him when we get back and my draws... like I said don't go through my things or I'll tell Remus you've worn the jumper I sneakily took out of his suitcase and left under his pillow for you.

You're welcome, put it under his bed before we get back and he'll think he accidentally left it behind.

Take care,
James

A small smile lit up on my face at the cheeky letter, I held it close to my heart. The first letter I had ever received from a friend. I folded up the parchment and placed it in my pocket. Ready to treasure it and put it somewhere safe.

I walked over to Peters bed first, crouching down and pulling the yellow box James had mentioned from under his bed. He was right, fantastic snack collection. I took a magic frog, caramelised Apple and a toad twister.

I sat on Peters bed whilst I ate the food, eyes fixated on Remus' slightly puffier pillow in comparison to the other boys'.

I hesitantly walked over to it once I was finished eating, picking it up and revealing a knitted royal green jumper with mixed blue threading. I held it in my hands for longer than necessary. Just feeling the heavy wool and the warmth that strangely lingered within the woven fabric.

I slipped the green jumper on over my pyjama shirt.

The smell of dark chocolate and cinnamon bark, with a hint of hazelnuts entrancing me as I pulled it over my face. I inhaled deeply and suddenly found myself sat cross legged on Remus' bed. My fingers slowly running over the bumps of the knitting, reading each detail of his jumper like Braille. As if it was a delicate artefact that I shouldn't be touching.

I shook myself out of the trance triggered by his scent and looked towards his draws. Temptation making me linger before I quickly jumped off of his bed and rushed out of the room. I didn't want to look through his things, call it respect...or paranoia due to what James warned in his letter. I couldn't help but think I was already overstepping by wearing his clothes that he didn't give me permission to wear.

I locked the door of the girls dorm behind me and flung myself in bed, after neatly placing James' letter between a notebooks pages to keep it pressed and safe.

I hugged my arms, my thumbs rubbing against the green wool and I once again lost myself in the cosy scent that was Remus Lupin. The warmth making me sleepier than I had expected.

Slowly I felt myself drifting off into a peaceful sleep. One that I hadn't expected to be granted to me.