~16~

"Sometimes I think we waste our words and we waste our moments, and we don't take the time to say the things that are in our hearts when we have the chance." -One Tree Hill

Edited

~~~~~~~~~~~~

|3 Years Ago|

|Hunter|

When we were kids, we used to play hide and seek all the time. I always sucked at that game, I couldn't find anyone but there was this weird thing. I always found Scarlett. No matter where she was hiding, no matter how far or how well hidden she was, I always found her. It was like there was something inside me, leading me to her. My body's own compass pointing  me in her direction.

As the years passed we stopped playing games, we grew up, but my heart stayed the same. 

My body still reacts the same way around her. I know she's close even if I don't see her.

My eyes always seem to find her.

Funny how just a few weeks ago everything in my life was perfect.  I had the one person who was everything to me. The one person that mattered. She was all I ever wanted.

Now I feel like my whole life is slowly being ripped apart in front of my eyes.

But it's my fault.

I was a fool for trusting fate.

Hell, I knew my fate loved playing twisted jokes on me.

I should have figured. It was too good to be true. I was never meant to have something so perfect.

She wasn't supposed to be mine.

I watch as Scarlett laughs at something Jace says in her ear. His arm is around her and right now I don't care that he's my best friend, all I want to do is rip his arm off.  My hands clench into fists.

I shouldn't be feeling this way.

I made a choice.

I take a deep breath and start walking. I ignore the intense pain in my chest. My face is cold, emotionless.

As I walk past them my cold eyes lock with hers. I completely ignore her. I almost wince at the hurt look that crosses her face.

You need to be strong Hunter.

Remember why you're doing this.

I can't take the risk.

A small voice in my head is telling me that I'm being a coward and I should go back and beg for her forgiveness.

But the truth is,

I am a coward.

As far as Scarlett Hudson is concerned I'm a huge pathetic coward.

I keep walking.

I walk away from the only good thing in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~