~6~

Edited

|3 years ago|

~~~~~~~~~~~

I jolted awake.

It took me a while to realize what had woken me.

It was happening again.

Mom and Dad were fighting. It was the third time this week.

I covered my ears with my hands as the shouts grew louder.

"Would you just listen to me for once Julie?" My father's voice bellowed.

"I don't want to listen to your lies Richard!" My mother screamed back.

That's it.

I jumped out of bed.

I needed to get out. I couldn't deal with this right now.

I quietly made my way out the back door.

I took in deep gulps of air.

I needed to run.

Without thinking I sprinted. I wasn't aware of my surroundings. It was like my legs had a mind of their own.

That's why I liked to run. Because it stopped me from thinking.

It stopped me from feeling.

My legs finally gave out from exhaustion and I collapsed to the ground. I felt the soft grass beneath me.

I took in my surroundings and I wasn't surprised when I found myself in the middle of the familiar clearing.

Somehow I usually ended up here whenever I was upset.

Hunter and I had found this place when we were kids, we hadn't told anyone about it for some reason. It was like our special hiding place.

The rustling sound of footsteps coming from behind me broke me out of my thoughts.

I didn't need to turn around to know it was him.

"Are you okay?" Hunter asked, concern lacing his voice.

"You're stalking me now?" I teased him lightly.

He chuckled. "You caught me there."

He sat down beside me. "I saw you running so I followed you here. You look upset."

I didn't answer him.

I didn't need to.

Hunter always understood.

"It happened again?" His voice was sad.

I gave him a nod.

He sighed and brought his arms around me. His chin rested on top of my head.

Suddenly I felt a lot better.

"I don't know what's gotten into them. They've never fought before." I mumbled into his chest.

"It's going to be okay." He comforted me. "Whatever happens, you should remember that your parents love you."

I raised my head to look at him.

"Do you remember anything about your dad?" I whispered.

Hunter closed his eyes and his arms tightened around me.

"I was just six years old when he died. I don't remember much. I know he was a soldier, he wasn't home often, he used to be away on duty a lot but I knew he loved us. Everyone says I look like him." Hunter gave me a lopsided smile and I smiled back.

His expression became solemn all of a sudden. "I don't remember much about him and that upsets me sometimes."

I brought my hand up to cup his face and ran my thumb over his cheek affectionately.

His arms suddenly let go of me and I felt a pang of disappointment.

"I remember one thing though." He whispered.

I looked up at him expectantly.

"Whenever he came home he couldn't stay for long, he was an army Sargent after all. He had a duty to his country. Saying goodbye to him used to be the hardest, especially because we didn't know when we would be seeing him again. Funny, I don't remember a lot about him but I remember the sadness I felt whenever he left."

I felt Hunter's sadness and my heart ached for him.

He ran a hand through his hair, "Whenever he was about to leave he would do this thing, a gesture."

I watched spellbound as Hunter bought his hand up and clenched it into a fist right above the place where his heart was beating.

"I wish I knew what it meant." He murmured.

I swallowed.

"I think I know." My voice was soft.

My eyes met his and my breath hitched when I saw the intensity behind his gaze.

"Your father loved his family. Leaving you guys behind was the hardest thing he had to do." I paused to take in a shaky breath.

"The gesture represents a breaking heart." I whispered.